Males vs Females: Do you eat pizza with a fork and a knife, or with your hands?

One of the other states usually included in the designation “northeast.”

It wasn’t real? I saw it going on at quite a few places, not the Daily Show. Was that just people jumping on the meme or something?

So far, men* are running about 7:1 in favor of hands.
Women* are at 10:1. So much for gender stereotypes. :stuck_out_tongue: I’m a woman who has never in her life taken silverware to pizza. The very idea! In fact, I didn’t know that anyone actually did that; I always assumed it was a joke.

I make lots of round, flat pizza at home from scratch and bake it naked on a stone. Except when I make my grandmother’s recipe for old-country Sicilian pizza in a rectangular pan, and that is properly sliced into rectangles and is best served at room temperature. Every time we visited Nonna when I was growing up, she had platters set out for us heaped with the old-country-style Sicilian pizza that is unknown in American pizzerias, and is quite different from American versions (and that includes America’s so-called Sicilian pizzas). Always at room temperature. Regardless, all of the types of pizza I ever eat, whether homemade or from a pizzeria, are properly eaten with the hands. If your za is so gloppy and messy that you feel the need for silverware, it’s been done wrong, is all I can say. My Nonna’s old-country pizza did not let you forget that is is essentially bread: she made thick sheets of bread with very modest amounts of thinly spread toppings. Americans love to exaggerate things to excess.

*It’s very obnoxious to call someone “a male” or “a female” as if they’re laboratory specimens. People are men and women.

No pick, because it depends. If the constitution of the pizza is such that I can eat it with my hands without it flopping all over, then I do so. Otherwise, out comes the cutlery.

There’s something that wasn’t common in neighborhood pizzerias when I was a kid, but is now, called “Grandma style” (or rarely, “nonna style”). Pizza grandma style is made in a rectangle and cut into 6 (like a half-sheet sicillian) and is thicker than your standard NYC slice, but not as thick as Sicillian. The cheese goes on first, then a dollop of sauce which doesn’t cover the whole top homogeneously - it’s literally a dollop.

I understood this style to imitate what you get at your grandma’s if you’re Sicillian, but I’m curious to know if it actually reflects that (for you at least).

Yep, for DiGiorno I use a fork and knife till it cools down, and then hands.

For pizza that’s foldable, with hands, either one piece folded, or the “two pieces as a sandwich” method above.

Cutlery if it is too floppy or still too hot. Otherwise hands, usually folded to keep the toppings in place.

Says you. Can’t be NJ since I know pizza other than Sicilian is round. Same with NY and at least the eastern portions of PA. Mass and ME have been heard from. Connecticut pretends to be the home of US pizza and pizza is round there too. Again except for Sicilian style. So which state are you talking about. Not asking for your address just the state.

It came from the Daily Show as you can see for yourself. Judge for yourself if the outrage is real. I think it’s about the same as when I firmly declare that Chicago style is not real pizza. I will go on and on about it and appear to be passionate but really it’s just good natured regional ribbing.

I never said the pizza here wasn’t round, but that it was cut in rectangles instead of pie wedges. If CT claims anything about pizza it’s nonsense; I have yet to have one anywhere here that I’d take over a Pizza Hut ten-dollar special back in CA. Soft gooey crust topped with gooey toppings cut into squares like lasagna seems to be the norm.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?num=50&hl=en&safe=off&tbo=d&site=&source=hp&q=donald+trump+pizza+fork&oq=donald+trump+pizza+fork

Yeah, it seemed pretty real to me, especially since I hadn’t heard of it originating on the daily show at the time.

Grandma style is really a resurgence of the original or at least one of the original styles of pizza, Pizza Margherita. Tomato, fresh mozzarella and fresh basil. I’ve seen it on a square Sicilian pan or round. You are right, it wasn’t really around when I was growing up except in specialty shops. Now it’s everywhere.

I hesitate to give away treasured family recipe secrets, but OK, since you asked. Nonna put exactly 4 ingredients for topping: a little onion, finely chopped and sautéed in olive oil, went on first. Then a very modest amount of grated mozzarella. Then a very modest amount of her simple homemade tomato sauce (made from tomatoes only), spread thinly but evenly, and a little sprinkle of oregano. The sautéed onion is the secret to that old-world Sicilian taste. Also, her homemade dough was dense and thick, and baked so that it developed nice big bubbles. I’m still working on learning that last detail.

I can think of two places south of Boston that cut pizza into squares. Course, I was a little kid at the time and can’t remember the names. I want to say one of them was the TipTop Cafe.

But yeah, it’s not a wide-spread custom by any means.

Margherita is nothing at all like what my grandmother made. Margherita is a classically Neapolitan style. It’s very, very good, but it isn’t my grandmother’s.

The way I understand it Frank Pepe learned how to make pizza from one of the first people who brought it over to NYC. He opened his own place in New Haven and some how they think they invented it. I have never seen it cut into squares but I’ll take your word for it.

I have never met your grandmother. I was referring to what restaurants call grandma pizza.

Browsing through the links there it all seems pretty tongue in cheek and most reference the Daily Show.

Grandma style isn’t anything like a magherita with (usually sliced) fresh mozz and fresh basil (also now commonly seen in pizzerias).

It’s a lot like what Johanna describes IF its well made. If not, it’s like Sicillian’s crappy little cousin.

I miss that place! We used to go there in college all the time. I’m wistful every time I drive past the old building.

I voted Male, Hands.

Unless it’s Chicago deep dish, like Giordano’s. I almost choked on all of the gooey cheese. But Pizz’a Chicago and Uno’s here in the SF Bay Area, I’ll eat with my hands.

P.S. - Go 49ers!

Be that as is it may, that is not a true statement. There is a very small and vocal minority of people on this board that are obsessed with sex and gender terms but it doesn’t apply to most of us. This board has a minimum age requirement of 13 and I don’t think it is appropriate to call someone a man or woman at that age. I know I didn’t want to be called either a ‘man’ or ‘boy’ at that age. ‘Male’ or ‘female’ are the unambiguous and inclusive terms regardless of whatever biases or personal issues someone may have.

I am not sure why the poll is broken down that way because the results have worked out evenly but that is separate issue. ‘Male’ and ‘Female’ are perfectly fine terms for the vast majority of people.