Man gets free cable for four years...so of course, he SUES!!

I had free cable my first few weeks in the place where I’m at now. Then one day it disappeared. Okay now who do I sue? :smiley:

Seriously, I’m in favor of moving this thread to the Pit so we can give this blankety-blank Dumouchel a piece of our minds.

Q for lawyers:

Could, by any stretch of the imagination, a case be made under “adverse possession”? If the cable company had the ability, let alone USE it, to detect signal theives, but let the guy ride free for 7 years, does he get lifetime service free?

Could he assign such a right to others, esp. heirs?

I like this thought - I was hooked up for 20+ years (didn’t work, but the company eventually sent a guy out to remove some sort of connector). If I had the ability to prove it worked for those 20+ years, could I claim legal right to the signal?

If they don’t settle out of court, I’m sure the judge will dismiss the case as meritless. Once he filed the paperwork and paid his processing fee, though, they’re obligated to put it on the docket, even if it’s obviously going to be dismissed. My parents were once sued by a neighbor because he claimed our dog was crapping in his yard, fercryinoutloud. The judge not only dismissed the case, but gave the neighbor a royal reaming for wasting time and resources with his lawsuit.

I hear the damage can be quite distressing, especially if he gets PPV movies.

:eek:[sup]— “Doctor, doctor! My penis has turned yellow!!”[/sup]

Well, the three computers and the free internet access should be a big step in whipping this family into shape.

That depends on which sites he vists… :smiley:

This claim for compensation is so ridiculous!

Internet access from the cable company comes with a package for cable TV service. So giving into his demands leads to continued cable service, which goes directly against his claim.

I hope the cable company files a counter-suit for this guy wasting their time and the attorney fees.

Bobby

…and theft of service, and for the service he admits he used for all those years, mental anguish, loss of sex drive, lower back pain, headache, hair loss, blurred vision, cramping, diarrhea …

Darn it, I’m sick of these companies forcing people to use their unhealthful products! First, the tobacco companies put a gun to our heads and forced us to smoke, giving us lung cancer. Then, McDonald’s put a gun to our heads and forced us to eat Big Macs, causing us to become obese. Now cable companies are putting guns to people’s heads and forcing them to watch television! How much longer must we suffer the government to allow these companies to force us to harm ourselves?

If Charter is willing to give me the $5,000 instead, I would be willing to drive over to their house with a baseball bat, smash in the TV, and scream in their faces, “Get some exercise, you lazy bastards!”

Hell, I might even do that for free.

Let’s say that the guy is mentally addicted. Let’s say that someone in the house keeps connecting the cable when it’s unscrewed. Let’s say that they want to have a tv to watch videos occasionally. Let’s say that next to the cable is the only reasonable place for the tv.

Mr. Addict, meet Mr. Wire Cutters.

Problem solved.

Wow. I wonder if he really has cable because the bills have been paid in cash from a post office box.

I stand corrected. Don’t see many dismissal cases on CNN.

Not necessarily. Most cable companies that offer internet access offer an internet-only package.

Of course then the idiot will just sue them again cause he got even fatter sitting on his ass surfing the 'net.

Heh. They’d probably lose on that one. See, it’s alleged that Charter was not disconnecting some customers who requested it or otherwise merited it so as to report higher subscriber numbers to the street.

Given that, it’s nice to see that the folks there have a sense of humor about this:

You can’t make this stuff up. Well, you can, but that takes expensive writers. This reality stuff is much more interesting and profitable. :wink:

I almost wish that there were some sort of test taken before reproduction can happen to weed these types of people and their parenting skills.

To Bobby Roberts. My Dad got cable internet long before he got cable TV.

To the OP. If I were the cable company and I wanted to settle I would offer a lifetime family gym membership.

I keep wondering if we should offer him and his family a couple of plane tickets to some other country. I keep thinking that maybe Exile should be considered some sort of punishment for wasting taxpayer money like this.

Even if it isn’t a punishment, I’d feel a little people if these people were somewhere else(like Antartica).

Actually, I take it back.

Perhaps sending him to Marine Boot Camp will solve both problems at once.

Surely though, they’ll do OK on the mental anguish, loss of sex drive, lower back pain, headache, hair loss, blurred vision, cramping, diarrhea … :smiley: