Management/Employee relations

Last night my wife was discussing her new job (QC Manager for a widget firm) . She mentioned that this new place like in her old position, employees seemed to segregate themselves from the management in the lunchroom. I’m also a manager where I work, and after a few moments of reflection, it occurred to me that I too, normally sit alone at lunch. She also mentioned the looks of dread or other expressions that people take up when she approaches them. I don’t so much have this problem, as for some reason, which escapes me; I’ve become the defacto employee liaison to the rest of the management staff. People wander into my office all the time to tell me their problems, which I relay or solve as necessary.

Now these things don’t bother me much, I’m more or less an aloof person anyway, preferring to be able to read my latest novel at lunch. But it really bothers my wife, that people seem afraid of her. So what’s going on? Is this cultural? Anyone else experience similar? Opinions please.

What your wife is experiencing is the typical symptom and byproduct of the hierarchical management system common to most organizations. Since managers have more perceived power than staff, there is always an underlying distrust by those below. Distrust is exhibited by a lack of equal communication.

By the force of your personality, you have managed to mostly break through the perceptual straitjacket and earn the trust of more staff. In my 20 yrs experience, I bet a few staff members are always trying to manipulate you in that liaison role.

Of course folks appear less than thrilled when your manager wife approaches. Because she know more corporate information than staff, those approached are kept in an ongoing state of, shall I say, alertness. I would also guess, that no matter how nice a person she is, a higher percentage of her communicated messages to staff are viewed as negative or corrective than what other folks share throughout the week. That is what her predecessors probably did, and it will take a while for her to be able to transform things as you were.

It ain’t easy, but that’s why they pay management more money.

[QUOTE]
*Originally posted by Geoduck *
**By the force of your personality, you have managed to mostly break through the perceptual straitjacket and earn the trust of more staff. In my 20 yrs experience, I bet a few staff members are always trying to manipulate you in that liaison role. **

Sure, though I get it form both sides (the upper managers are always trying to get me to gauge employees reactions to news). I guess I’d never really paid any attention to these dynamics, having been in management since leaving the Army.

Yeah she’s generally sweet, but has adopted my somewhat brusque mannerisms, which may be related to her problem. Though I sound brusque there’s generally an element of humor in it which may blunt it to some degree. I think overall she’s not comfortable having people fear her (if that’s the phrase I’m looking for), so the other stuff jumps right out. Thanks for your post.