Manager thinks I should take medical retirement.

I keep having health issues as a 62 year old. Last year at this time my mother died, & because of many health issues (multiple PEs & complications from a hip replacement), my doctors discouraged me from flying. This resulted in a regrettable panic attack at work, sending me to the ER. This summer I slipped & fell coming out of the shower, damaging my artificial hip & putting me on leave for two months. Last week, due to arthritic feet & balance issues, I fell & cracked a rib, putting me out of work for three days. My manager has suggested looking into a medical retirement, something I didn’t even know was a thing. I don’t know how to take this. I love my job, & I’m afraid I’d be one of those people that dies within months after retirement. I’m clumsy but far from not being a positive addition to my team at work. I feel kinda like he wants me out because I keep getting hurt, but I’m never hurt at work. I really don’t know what to do.

Perhaps your manager is concerned about your health vs. just trying to get rid of you.

Is this a possibility?
mmm

Is there some sort of retirement counselling service local to you? Not just one to help you work out the financial issues (important though those are), but also the bigger question of how to handle retirement? The key is to work out how to see a value and worth in life that doesn’t depend on this specific job, however much you enjoy it or think you contribute to it- after all, you’d have to retire sooner or later.

Would there be opportunities to take on some volunteer activity that would be flexible if you should have further health problems?

If you do retire, offer to work at a local charity, as a manager, if you have the right background.

That’s how it seems to me, too. This particular manager may not be interested in squeezing the last bit of productivity out of your life. He/she may honestly care about your health.

Don’t forget to factor health care into the equation. Despite what Dear Leader says, it is still a problem, and you are on the young (ya, tell me that in the early morning!) side of things in regards to Medicare.

As I see it, this is still better than dying within months before retirement. Just reading your post, I’m worried that you’re pushing yourself too hard.

You need to be working with your doctor about your health, and not your manager. Taking early retirement has a huge impact on your social security payout (I’m assuming you are in the U.S.). And while your manager may be really concerned about your health, he may also be acting unethically. It may be more appropriate for you to go on short or long term disability until you reach a more appropriate retirement age.

Also, working is good for most people.

If you and your doctor agree that working a full time job is not perhaps in the best interests of your health, you may want to look into some volunteer work that would let you continue to practice in your profession (or explore something new). Or part time work.

I’m pretty sure my manager is sincerely worried about my health. He’s only a few years younger than me and facing similar health degradation, although not as drastically. I think the best advice given here is to get my aching behind to retirement counseling. Thanks for your input, all.

Agreed. And once you retire, keep active. Find another job, volunteer, exercise, whatever, but don’t just veg.

You should talk to a financial advisor who specializes in retirement planning and who understands disability issues. Doing this now could save you a lot of grief later.

Yeah, you’re right. I just hate change so much. sigh