Mandalorian Season 2 Thread [Open Spoilers]

It was an egg. Just like in the season 1 episode where he wanted something from some aliens so he had to kill a monster for them. I mean, I liked this episode, but they’ve already made it once.

BTW:

I think it was a pearl. In at least one video game, Krayt dragons had pearls.

I’m pretty sure it was a Krayt pearl.

First thing I said to my wife was, “He’s probably making Spice.”

Hey, was that Tunisia? It looked a lot like Tatooine from the movies.

“TSUUUUUUKAAAAAAA!”

When I heard the Marshal’s voice, I immediately thought, “Wait, is that Space-Raylan Givens?” And then he took it off, and, yep, Space-Raylan Givens. Not a complaint; I was delighted by the casting.

Easter Egg (I only know a smattering of EU lore, so I have no idea if this is a previously established factoid, but it’s the first time I’ve encountered it): the odd disc/spike tool on one end of a gaffi stick? Bantha tooth-pick/scraper. I was amused.

Overall, it was a solid episode, but…I kinda agree with @Darren_Garrison. It felt like they had already made this episode. It re-combined elements from the mudhorn hunt, the village threatened by raiders, and the bounty hunter wannabee episodes from the first season.

Also, after they showed the Tuskens staking out a bantha to sacrifice it, and then showed the banthas being loaded with explosives, I just assumed the plan was to lure the krayt dragon into swallowing an explosive-laden bantha. Going to that as a last second improvisation seemed odd. Why wasn’t that the plan from the beginning? And why did they have a random explosive-laden bantha left over?

I think I mentioned in the Season 1 thread that one of the things that really impressed me about that Season was how efficient it was, the polar opposite of “Netflix bloat”. Every scene, every shot, seemed carefully composed and chosen, and drove the plot forward. I thought even the “filler” episodes really weren’t. Each one established important facts about Mando and his world. As the season progressed, every alternative avenue was closed off, until he was forced to return to where it all began to directly confront the Client.

This episode, while it was internally well-structured and paced, seemed to be just kind of treading water with regards to the over-arching plot, in a way that I didn’t think any of the Season 1 episodes did. Mando did gain an ally Cobb Vanth, who I presume, like Cara Dune, will prove pivotal later in the season, but the Cara Dune episode had a lot of other things going on to progress the season plot arc. Maybe, as the season progresses, it will become retrospectively clear that they were laying other pipe here as well. I hope so.

Anyway, this post might be coming off as overly negative. I loved the first season, and I really enjoyed this episode, at least as a stand-alone. Even if it’s a slight let-down from the almost miraculously good first season, it’s still lightyears ahead of just about anything else on now.

So I was the only one that thought this was the worst episode?
So much stupid in this one. Those Tiny stakes weren’t going to hold that monster and grabbing the ropes and not letting go? Also, “You won’t die by my hand” is instant red flag for anyone of any intelligence. Also, you had all those explosives and never thought to bait the dragon and blow it up before? WTH?

Arghh, so much stupid. Did Lucas write this episode?

Anyone who thinks they can pull a fast one on a Mandalorian is clearly not “of any intelligence”. :slight_smile:

Glad my thread is getting some attention.
Does Boba’s armor have any recordings that will help find more Mandalorians (or Jedi)?
I can wait a week for the next episode
Hanging on the to ropes I tribute to heat of the action. I also expected “explode from the inside”
I agree it was nice to see Tuskens in a more positive light.

Brian

A considerable amount of Tatooine in the original movies was filmed in California and Nevada, so it shouldn’t be too much of a stretch to find more Tatooine-ish spots in the same places.

Having said that, they would have filmed a lot of it using their cool digital Stagecraft technology. Any places where they weren’t spread apart too far from each other and the ground looked mostly flat (such as at the Tusken campsites) would have used it.

Huh. While I’d thought the final character shown was Boba Fett, Jon Favreau had this to say in an interview on Good Morning America in September 2019.

Blockquote
“Boba Fett is not, they’re all new original characters.” said Favreau, adding “There’s a thirty year stretch of story time that hasn’t been explored at all except in the extended universe.”

Story here on IGN.
YouTube clip of the relevant part of the interview.
Either something changed, or Temeura Morrison is playing someone other than Boba - presumably a clone.

There’s an edit when he says “is not” which makes me think the sentence may have been “is not in this season”. Soundbites from the promotion of season 1 will not necessarily reflect the content of season 2.

I think at the time Favreau was responding to questions as to whether Boba Fett was the titular Mandalorian.

It’s too much of a coincidence to bring up Jawas finding Boba’s armor in an old Sarlacc pit, a krayt dragon that killed a Sarlacc and took over its lair, and have Temuera Morrison show up on screen for his character to be anyone else.

(Also, the IMDB page for this episode credits Morrison as playing Boba Fett.)

For me the big question is what exactly Mando’s task is. We know that he is looking for more of The Child’s kind, but what exactly does that mean? Is he trying to find a Jedi, or is he looking for members of Yoda’s species, maybe even their home planet? I hope it’s the latter, because at this point in the story, do we really want Mando to go off on a search for Luke or Leia? I don’t see any way that search could have any kind of a good payoff. On the other hand, if he’s looking for the Yoda home planet, that would be something that has potential for a much better ending. That’s what worries me about Boba Fett showing up. Sure, he has information about Luke and Leia and the Jedi, but what would Boba Fett know about the Yoda home planet? Probably not much. I’m hoping the Boba Fett thing turns out to be a wild goose chase.

Yeah, I agree. The main plot of the dragon doesn’t make much sense, but that can be hand-waved away. The tactics of the fight itself don’t make sense at all. I like the characters, and the were some cool shots though.

I know it’s corny but I loved “I’ve been searching for you for many parsecs.”

There’s one particular ex-Jedi who is still alive during this period. It’s rumoured she might show up, but if you aren’t familiar with Star Wars lore outside of the movies, I won’t spoil. And even if it isn’t her, there are others who know stuff. Maz Kanata, for example.

He plays a Marshall well too.