Mandalorian Season 2 Thread [Open Spoilers]

“I have to go now. My planet needs me.”

I see that they’ve replaced something else with “Cara Dune” and “her”, but I’m not getting the joke. Explain please.

Agreed with most. It was a very clueless and dumb thing. Offensive even. But not anti-Semitic. And yeah I get standing behind your beliefs even if it costs you, inclusive of when I think the beliefs are antithetical to what I believe. In principle no different than Kaepernick knowing that taking a knee would possibly cost him his career.

Disagreement with you is about being sorry to see her go as part of the show. Her acting landed flat to me and I found the character was pretty boring.

It’s a reference to the Simpsons episode where Homer is hired to voice “Poochie”, a new character on the Itchy and Scratchy Show, who gets hastily written out after massive fan backlash.

Minimizing the systematic killing of 6 million Jews by fascists because ‘reasons’, sure seems anti-Semitic to me.

I did not read it as that. Note. Speaking as someone who never met family members who died during HaShoah, and whose father was one of the first American soldiers at the gates of a major concentration camp.

It was offensive for someone of the side that specializes in demonizing librulz and creating disinformation, that appeals to anti-Semites and racists and a bunch of other hate the other pushers, to be comparing condemnation of their side as similar to the propaganda machine used by the Nazis against the Jews. And very very dumb. Clueless. Bad. But the goal was to whine about how unfair it is that they are being held accountable for their speech, not to minimize what she was comparing it to.

Again though, glad she’s gone. It will help the show I think. Bad ass is not physical build it is attitude and she did not emote it to me

To paraphrase the Simpson’s, not anti-Semitic but #1 with anti-Semites.

But I did like her character.

I agree with this. While her acting wasn’t stand out, I think it matched her character as written. Structurally, the show has been building the Mandalorian’s network of contacts across the various factions. Mando needs an ally in the Rebel Alliance who has enough status to break their rules on occasion.

But I don’t have a problem with Disney dropping her. For better or worse, high-profile actors on high-profile content are public representatives of media companies. You can publicly embarrass your employer only so many times.

Too late to edit out. Let’s drop the real life political stuff from this thread. Topic is covered elsewhere,

I thought her acting was mediocre at best. I rolled my eyes every time she tried to strut. I did appreciate that she was an actress who looked the part.

They were going to fire her last year but they stuck by her because Jon Favreau went to bat for her character and talked to her about what Disney expected of her. Hope this doesn’t affect him negatively.

What happened, from what I’ve read, was that back in November she tweeted a bunch of conspiracy theories about COVID-19 and mail-in ballot election fraud which prompted Disney to cancel an announcement of her starring in her own Mandalorian-spinoff show. Presumably at this point she was not under contract with Disney for anything, though possibly they may have still been negotiating a contract for her to reappear in The Mandalorian. Then she tweeted her recent stuff and Disney / Lucasfilm was so appalled that they felt it necessary to clarify she was no longer employed by them. So technically she was not fired, she was just not hired again.

Maybe if you’re a celebrity, especially one signed on with a major studio, just don’t tweet about actual Nazis. It doesn’t seem worth it, career-wise.

I can see an argument that it is anti-Semitic in effect, but not intent. Her intent was to highlight how badly conservatives are treated. Her actual effect was to minimize the Holocaust.

How is her post different from Pascal’s in 2018 comparing the overflow facilities to actual death camps?

…are they calling them “overflow facilities” now? Really? Talk about Orwellian.

Those “overflow camps” were (and still are) a stain on America. Inherently and needlessly cruel. They were rightly called concentration camps. The comparison seems apt to me. But this seems a tad off topic?

I didn’t like her acting and it affected how much I liked her character. Cara would normally zoom to the top of my favorites, like Ahsoka or Hera when I watched those shows, but it didn’t click for me.

I’d be willing to give her the benefit of the doubt for being naive and/or ignorant but if you do spread something icky and don’t take it down and say like “hey guys, I didn’t know the subtext to that picture. I deleted it. I’m sorry,” then you lose that benefit of the doubt. You probably did know full well what it meant on all levels.

Plus… jfc, get a finsta. A nice anonymous finsta. fwitter? fakebook? Use your official account for apolitical stuff and promotion. No one will know you’re garbage.

Also, I dreamt this week I was in the Mando world and Grogu absolutely adored me and would giggle and dance every time he saw me. And Pedro was desperately in love with me. It was rough waking up that day.

From Yahoo! Entertainment: How Gina Carano's once bright 'Star Wars' future on 'The Mandalorian' flamed out

You made me go look for his post.

One is about butthurt people upset because they’re called out for their bad behavior and offensive views, and the other is about this? (I haven’t checked on the validity of the picture he used)

https://twitter.com/PedroPascal1/status/1009572721548595201

Season two is over. There’s not much else to talk about anyway.

I LIKED her in her roles. I first noticed her in that short-lived Karl Urban series, “Almost Human.” She had a very physical role as a. . . I think a killer robot, it’s been awhile. Anyway, she was so good at the physical stuff that I looked her up, figuring her to be a stuntwoman turned actress. Then she was good in Deadpool. In limited roles, she excelled.

The pictures were actually relatively similar. Carano’s comparison was not. I think that’s the difference.

Bah, crap. Something is wrong on the internet, and I have to correct it. The picture Pascal used was apparently not of the US border camps. I should have checked before I posted, that’s why I added the, “I haven’t checked on the validity of the picture he used” in an edit. From Snopes.com:

it’s a photograph dating from 2010, and it and similar pictures capture Palestinian children and adults waiting to receive food at a soup kitchen in the West Bank city of Hebron during the holy month of Ramadan.

From Reuters, some ACTUAL pictures of US border facilities. The difference is, the border facilities use chain-link, not bars.