Manhattan Prosecutors file criminal charges for Trump re Stormy Daniels case - ongoing discussion here

Even if Trump said it himself in a room full of people I would only give it a 30% chance of it actually happening.

But there’s no upside for him. If he fights extradition, he’ll be housed in a jail until he gets to New York. It’s that simple.

I would never accuse Trump of NOT being a racist, but part of me thinks that this move (calling everybody who’s considering prosecuting him a (essentially, reverse) racist) is just a naked dog whistle aimed at turning out yet another group of Gravy Seals (ie, his deranged loyal cult members) to cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war in all of these jurisdictions.

I think it’s his not-so-subtle invitation, but this time to a race war of his making.

And I wish I was joking.

I really hope you are right…but seven or so years of “We got him now…Oh fuck, no we don’t” leaves a bit of doubt in my mind.

One thing I’m trying to say is that Trump won’t trust his lawyers.

Maybe I’ve read too many crime novels, but don’t lawyers believe in surrendering to authorities, and not fighting extradition, a lot more than their clients?

Believe me, I understand that.

Maybe it will help if I explain that the only issues considered in an extradition proceeding is to determine that 1) the right person is in custody and 2) the State of New York is the proper venue to try the charges on which the defendant has been arrested. Bail is not a consideration for extradition. It’s up to the charging prosecutors, not the ones participating in the extradition proceeding.

So the only thing that can be done pending extradition is for the defendant to stay in jail until extradition matters are resolved. These hearings are almost always just procedural and there is no real question of jurisdiction. It is sometimes employed as a means of delay, but it mostly doesn’t work for long.

You are leaving out the possibility that he could run away under the pretense that there is a conspiracy to do him harm, making him a “martyr-in-exile” to the Trumpettes.

But that will simply render him a fugitive, in the eyes of the law. Things will go much worse for him trying to run a presidential campaign if he does that.

If you are correct, does it mean that DeSantis isn’t that bad — at least, unlike Trump, he basically accepts the rule of law?

A majority of the FL Supreme Court was appointed by DeSantis. Have they no gratitude? :innocent:

My personal belief is that Ron DeSantis is worse than Trump with respect to his regard for the law.

They’re both autocrats who believe they should be king.

And I’ll be surprised if either one of them ends up being the Republican standard bearer for 2024.

That will render him “The Real President!” in the eyes of his followers-All of the fame and none of the work. I remember a lot of speculation that that was what he really wanted in the first election-fame.

But what has that got to do with these proceedings? Nothing is going to change the minds of these people. They’re going to engage in their magical thinking no matter what.

Their magical thinking, coupled with their magical contacts and their magical money, is what makes the possibility of Trump getting arrested if indicted not so fool-proof.

We’ll have to agree to disagree. I’ll put my faith in my understanding of the law.

And I will remember how Trump views and responds to that law.

Remember one big difference: He no longer has the power of the presidency around him to protect him.

I absolutely believe that Trump will act in his own best interest. He will not fight extradition.

He’s a coward. The only time he acts brave is when he’s behind someone acting as his human shield. Or hundreds of them.

Meanwhile, Loser Donald is planning a rally in Waco next weekend, just a few weeks shy of the 30th anniversary of the massacre, which is a completely normal thing for someone who totally isn’t a cult leader facing imminent legal action to do.

“Former President” is not an office.

Washington CNN —

Former President Donald Trump said Saturday he expects to be arrested in connection with the investigation by the Manhattan District Attorney next week and called for protests as a result.

“In a social media post on Saturday, Trump, referring to himself, said the “leading Republican candidate and former president of the United States will be arrested on Tuesday of next week.
“Protest, take our nation back,” he wrote.”

Trying to stir up some insurrectionists again, it looks like. But Donnie, you have to tell them where to meet up. It won’t do to have them scattered all over.