Manhattan Storage Facility That Accepts Deliveries

I work at a wine shop in Manhattan. I’m interested in opening my own store and just found a great location with a lot of foot traffic. However, the space is very small and storing a reasonable amount of inventory would be challenging. The solution I’ve come up with is to rent a small storage space and do a daily stock run.

To make this work, the storage space needs to be able to accept deliveries for me from suppliers, and I’m curious whether a facility like this exists? Or is there another service that would fulfill the same need?

Thanks.

Manhattan Mini Storage has business storage and package acceptance. In their PDF brochure they say:

So, sounds like what you’re looking for. And they’re all over the place, too.

Yeesh, I sound like a spammer. For the record, I’ve never used them. I used Chelsea Mini Storage, but that’s a pain-in-the-ass to get to (12th avenue all the way downtown) so I kinda regretted it eventually.

Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately Manhattan Mini Storage wouldn’t work for a several reasons:

[ul]
[li]They only accept deliveries from UPS, FedEx and DHL.[/li][li]They can’t put the deliveries into my storage space.[/li][li]They couldn’t take responsibility for signing off on the accuracy of the delivery.[/li][/ul]

Sounds like you’ve found a new business niche to fill instead of wine…

I can’t think of anyplace that’s operating as a public warehouse that would be willing to put themselves on the line for verifying the condition and contents of your shipment re “accuracy”. The potential liability would be insane.

What you’re looking for is a full-service warehouse operator; mini-storage isn’t going to cut it. Probably the best thing to do is to have things shipped directly to your store and make regular runs to put the extras in storage. That way you can receive and verify the shipments yourself.

State liquor laws are always a maze. Is it even permissible for a mini-storage facility in New York to receive shipments of wine?

This would be the best solution if you are receiving liquor shipments.The receiving and verification requirements for booze are pretty tight in most states.

while working as a truck driver in the UK, it was quite common for me to have to phone someone half-an-hour before delivering to some lock-up. This gave them time to get there to receive the goods. I would have thought that hauliers in Manhattan would be able to do this for you.

Seconded. While I can’t answer the question with authority, I would guess almost certainly not. You probably need to have the packages delivered to an agent with a liquor license, and that probably means it needs to be you.

You probably won’t be able to use a regular mini-storage facility- but there might be a specialized facility. I know there was a wine storage facility in Chelsea that was flooded during Sandy and I can’t imagine it was the only one.