Mannheim Steamroller worse name ever

Not true for the Lovin’ Spoonful or Pearl Jam.
Maybe for 10cc.
</wet blanket>

I hear it and I think of a German panzer division – an unstoppable force. I like the name.

Them I missed but I did see Elvis Hitler a couple times.

As for Mannheim Steamroller – the name stuck in my brain fast enough and I’m terrible with names.

JFA was a great name.

A popular Thai band is named Big Ass.

This is why I love the SDMB. I had what I assumed to be a decent musical education as an undergraduate in composition (and a year of graduate school), and since then I have somehow improbably made a living as a musician for almost two decades. But I had never heard of this.

Cheers, Thudlow Boink!

Wow - another band name thread?
Gee I must be getting VERY old when I see SDMB members in so much disbelief about a band’s name. I never found anything wrong or inappropriate with Mannheim Steamroller’s name.
I was a teenager in the 1960’s and names such as “Strawberry Alarm Clock”, “Spooky Tooth” or the “Electric Prunes” were downright commonplace.
Yes I even wrote my own band name generator which produces names such as “Disappointed Helium Pirates” and “Abandoned Windshield Planet”.
And the SDMB already had many band name threads which (among other things) referenced Steve Allen’s contributions to this subject. (“Communist Toothbrush” is one of my favorites).
Okay that’s it. Carry on folks. Smoke 'em if you’ve gottem.

wolf_meister
Bass Player for the
“Downcast Proton Choir”

I’m surprised nobody has brought up the 70’s largely female punk band The Slits. Ari Up!

Coming from Eugene, that’s high praise. He so wacky.

As for a stupid, stupid name on a transcendent group: The Beatles.