March's Malevolent Maledictions (minirants)

Pics or it didn’t happen?

All is not well. Really.

Our deep well has crapped out. No water. At least 3 feet of snow on the ground. Plumbing guy tried a temporary fix yesterday but it didn’t hold. We are faced with the prospect of digging up the frozen ground in the front yard to get to the wellhead.:(.

In the meantime, buckets of snow are being melted for dishes and bathrooms, the search is on for a nearby Laundromat. I’ll be showering at work, I guess.

I shudder to think what this is going to cost. :frowning:

I hear ya’, Mama, wind chimes are the Devil’s Own Playthings. I’ve been known to buy some of my neighbors’ chimes, claiming I can’t find any as nice as theirs. They immediately get trashed.

My own rant? Why didn’t anyone tell me that eating cashews while eating pineapple makes both of those yummies taste terrible? :smack:

Have you considered a little midnight macrame?

Taxes, not personal ones either, failed business attempt taxes (State Excise and Sales taxes, FWIW, the IRS ones are so much easier, IMO). Also, I didn’t realize they were due by Jan 31st. Oops.

I am aggravated with FB. Someone i went to school with, who is a police officer, posted some random shit that she “knows” happened, with pics to prove how awful the BLM protesters are , in a post about a protest that happened near me. Problem? The pics are all fake,or at least not from the event she was taking about. When called out on the false pics, the police officer said “sorry I posted fake pics, but I KNOW there was some destruction of some property, though I don’t know what, so i am not apologizing for the sentiments.”

An employee at the store where I got the now-suspicious food wanted to know how I knew for sure I had food poisoning. Not sure if she was looking for lab results, or a detailed description of events…

God damned fucking low overhang entry to my basement. Fuck you right in your solidity. Son of a BITCH, that hurt; drew blood and everything. Then my wife insisted on cleaning it with alcohol. MOTHERFUCKINGCHRISTOWOWOWOWOW!!! Second time in six years I’ve collided with that fucker. Since taking a chain saw to it is out of the question, I really gotta find some way to pad that edge.

split a pool noodle and glue it over the edge?

:frowning: My sympathies! I bet it seems like every time you go to do something it requires water.

Where are you located? Any chance of a spring thaw coming soon?

Our regular mail scanning person at work is on vacation. I’m the backup.

I would almost rather eat glass and shit insulation rolls all day than scan the goddamn mail.

One more day. One more day. One more day. One more day.

We’re near Ottawa, Ontario - not exactly known for early springs. Weather is supposed to warm up to above zero next week but you can’t really trust the weather until April and even then . . .

Himself is trolling Kijiji for a used water dispenser and I have found a coin laundry so we are managing. Hot tub dip has replaced the morning shower for now. Plumber coming out again in the morning to try and re-fix the temporary fix.:(:frowning:

My friend from high school sexted me for my birthday a few weeks ago, with my wife’s permission. It was pretty nice.

Had to read that twice before figuring out that a “pool noodle” wasn’t a reference to my noggin. :smiley:

Probably a piece of chilled water insulation, if I can’t find something made for the job.

The technical name is ‘Donkey Dick’.

Sick of having this argument with my mother. She’s back from a two week holiday in Lanzarote, and feels the need to give us presents “from” the holiday. So far, the bag contains Christmas Chocolates (from Bay Hotels UK - ie not a Lanzarote hotel) and an out of date Ferrero Rocher chocolate gift… thing. It could be an Easter Egg from last Easter? I can’t even tell.

And yet I’ll be the bad guy if I give it back to her, telling her yet AGAIN to stop giving me and my children out of date food.

Do you know you are free to dispose of gifts in any way you please? Yes, maybe you should tell someone once about a type of gift not being wanted/suitable (in case it will keep them from wasting time/energy from then on) but otherwise just say ‘thank you’ and dispose of it without causing a fuss.

Parents are a special class of ‘will give you things they think you should have regardless of anything you say’ person. I threw out gifted vacation spot ashtrays from my father up to the very end of his life. He knew no one in our house smoked, but somehow the idea that meant we had no wish to own ashtrays never computed with him.

Fucking MICE!!!

I guess it’s the mild winter, but I’ve never, ever, seen mice like this before. 2 years ago we had a couple, dispatched them in a day or two. This year they’ve invaded. Captured like a dozen around Christmas, but it seemed like there was always one hyper-intelligent mouse that just ate food out of the traps. I guess it found a mate, because here we go again.

The most effective seem to be the heavy glue traps, but it doesn’t kill them and I don’t want to get bitten trying to dispatch a panicky mouse. I tried some boxed glue traps this week, so I could pick it up safely, but the glue is too light and I’ve watched the mice drag them around the room for a few seconds before escaping.

And these critters don’t give a rat’s ass about me ;). For example, I had one run right up on my lap while watching a movie. I’ve been keeping boxed food, bread, etc. in a big Rubbermaid bin, so there’s that, but they’ve eaten through a stack of my oil pastel drawings (I guess they smell good?), chewed a tablecloth, etc. I’m sure it doesn’t help that I have two kids under the age of 5, so there’s always crumbs somewhere… Plus, it’s a rather large old house, so I’m sure there are a dozen entry points for them. I should get a lidded kitchen trash can this weekend.

Last night I went down to the kitchen to get a glass of water. There was no food out, but I heard noises. One was in the silverware caddy (playing? it’s clean silverware) and another was** drinking frying oil **that was in a pan on a stove–I had to leave it to cool–good thing I wasn’t planning to reuse the oil!! If I hadn’t seen the mouse, I never would have guessed. Urgh…

And I’m cleaning up droppings every day. They must just be running along, shitting merrily as they go. We’re trying to declutter and move some furniture/rooms around, so my youngest can have his own room, so the house is kind of a disaster area right now, or else I’d get an exterminator.

I’m THIS close to getting a cat.

Get a cat. And if you do, get a young female (and have her spayed please). Young females looooove to catch things and offer them to you* (so you can learn how to catch them for yourself). Kittens are useless (for that) and males are generally lazy.

Cite: Have old house and lots of cats over the years.

*try to discourage the part where they catch (outside) and release (inside). Making her an indoor cat can prevent that.

I’ve had good luck with Tomcat brand mouse baits. They offer a child/pet-proof bait container, which I used in accessible spots, and then I tossed uncontained bait blocks in other spots where the 2- and 4-legged critters couldn’t reach. (Behind the dryer and stove, inside the plumbing access panels, under the house, etc.) After my wee beasties were gone, I gave my brother the last half of the bucket of baits, and they did the trick at the totally infested farmhouse he was renovating. This stuff is available at most farm supply stores, and I think I’ve seen it at Lowe’s, Home Depot, and similar places.

(I’m allergic to cats, and the rat terrier just didn’t care about the mice.)