Mario Marathon 5

Just thought I’d spread the word about the event. Today at 11 A.M. EST the 5th Mario Marathon event begins. It’s a charity event where a group of people live stream the Mario series. Each level is given a set value and when the donations reach that point they will continue to play until that level is beat, the event ends when they catch up to the donations. All of the money goes straight to Child’s Play who purchase games and toys for children’s hospitals. Last year they earned $112,675 and all of their combined events have earned $241,083. They’ve already earned around $8,500 dollars this year and the event hasn’t even begun yet. It’s always tons of fun and well worth watching for the entertainment value alone.

Update: Event starts in ten minutes, they’ve already earned over $10,000. So far Super Mario Bros. 2, Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World, and Super Mario Sunshine are unlocked in their entirety. Super Mario Galaxy 1&2, Super Mario 64 and New Super Mario Bros. Wii are unlocked at a minimal play through level (just enough levels/stars to beat the game). The event will kick off with Galaxy 2 and hopefully last many days. Site is here.

It seems no one is interested but I thought I would give another update. 22 and 1/2 hours in and a little over 34k has been donated. So far they’ve played SMG2 and NSMBW and are currently playing SMG. They’re currently at the same donation levels as last year minus a bonus of 4k they had for a ebook raffle. Hopefully this gap will close and they’ll exceed last years record. Still lots of great fun so spread the word and donate if you can!

I remember when they tried to do the Final Fantasy marathon. Wasn’t it their all time biggest money earner?

Wait a second, I think I’m thinking of a different website. Some speed run site, forgot the name