"Mars Attacks": help settle a dispute

::I use my sword to lop off the top of DocCathode’s head, and I hand it to Knorf.

Herer you go.

The scalp speaks: "I am “Off The Top Of My Head”

:stuck_out_tongue: Scott Plaid.

Ok, I suppose I should have known that one.

But For the Love of Everything Og (FLEO), does have hackneyed phrase have to be turned into an acronym? Does it proved we’re cool?

YMMV, etc.

[/Hijack]

Uh, I have nothing knew to add about Mars Attacks, except that yeah, it was (and is) an unfairly maligned movie.

I agree, but I was looking forward to it, having collected the entire card set when I was a kid.

My mother threw them out when I went to college. :frowning:

What about when the translator was first used? Didn’t it “translate” the Martians’ language as nonsense? “Dark suede mows like a harvest”.

Well, actually, a similar tactic was used in **Attack Of The Killer Tomatoes ** (which would have been a much better movie if the actors had taken and presented the lousy script with a serious bent, as in Airplane, instead of laughing at us, the audience, from behind their characters)

Good gad, the scene where they are firing 12 ga shotguns at tomatoes being rolled down a dirt road and scream, “We can’t hold them back!” brings me to tears.

I thought it was “dark is the swathe that mows like a harvest”. I think the idea was that it was supposed to be a martian saying whose meaning is a little unclear; it sounds a bit sinister, but it’s hard to tell.

I checked Imdb and got;

I googled and got a lot of “suede”, some “sway” and a few “swathe”. None of them were from the pen of the screenwriter, though. “Swathe” is the word that makes the most sense in that spot, though, and that’s what it sounded like to me when I first heard it, so that’s what I’m going with.

“All green of skin 800 centuries ago their bodily fluids include the birth of half-breeds. For self-determination is the universal truth of the cosmos; for dark is the suede that mows like a harvest!”

Yeah, that’s what the translation device quoted the “Ackackak ack ack, ackack ackackack …” of the Martians as saying. Towards the end of the film a Martian is seen running amok in the streets with his Martian allies carrying the device claiming, “Do not run, we are your friends” while his Martian cohorts are blasting everyone and everything in sight to smitherinies.

The darn thing never did work correctly. Maybe in the sequel …

The Martians lied.

So, was it the yodeling, Indian Love Call, or Slim’s combination of the two that did them in?

The translators worked. The Martians were just major dicks.

I’m also reminded of Gallaxhar’s message to Earth in Monsters vs Aliens.

A little of both.
I was waiting for Una Paloma Blanca to be played in reference to the white dove which was released,but that never happened.

A nine year old zombie, and those never get translated properly.

Attack Of The The Martian Zombies!

A film that must be made.

Funny you should mention that.

A never completed computer game from the 80s: Attack of the Mutant Zombie Flesh Eating Chickens from Mars.

Look like its unanimous. The Martians were deceiving us. But, I never considered what your SO thought. I guess its possible that was the intention.

I always thought the “We come in peace” thing was a riff on Star Trek, where Kirk would say the same thing and then pull out his phaser. :smiley:

“We come in peace [sub]shoot to kill, shoot to kill, shoot to kill.[/sub] We come in peace [sub]shoot to kill, shoot to kill, shoot to kill, men.”[/sub]

Obligatory video.