Martin Shkreli's trial starts today {June 26, 2017}

The timeline of events contradicts your interpretation of them.

In other words: you are wrong again.

Shkreli’s lawyers asked for a mistrial this morning but it was rejected.

Where are his victims? I keep reading about him defrauding people yet I never see any of those people mentioned, unlike the Madoff case where they were identifiable and quite interviewable.

A search for Shkreli’s victims turned up a webpage thanking the Eastern Distict court for putting a stop to their 250% returns on their investment, and one of Shkreli’s defenses is that all of his “victims” made out like bandits. So this does actually sound like a technical violation that the feds decided to get him for.

But let’s see what the jury says.

Surprise, surprise :smiley:

He took money from a company he owned to cover other problems. Yes, he owned it BUT…(I like big buts and I can’t deny it…) that is still fraudulent. For instance, if a guy loots his company to bankruptcy, then his debtors get Trumped. Even if there were no investors.

They were already investigating him before his public disgrace. So the timeline doesn’t fit that they were only going after him for that.

And if what you said was true, then there’d be a whole lot more scum behind bars. Hell, Trump would have been incarcerated even before he ever entertained the idea of running for president (which was around 2000, IIRC).

If this were true, I’d still be OK with it.

Anyway, he gets his day in court, before a jury of his peers, to explain why he shouldn’t go to jail.

yeah, but the whole point of this Pit thread is that the bastard doesn’t deserve a day in court.

And, besides-- there’s no way he can stand before a jury of his peers…
Because juries are composed of human beings.

To be clear: that was not my point when I started this thread.

That may be your point, but it was not and is not mine.

Let’s hope the jury goes down to the quarry and throws Shkreli down there.

Joe Arpaio is playing the stupid card in Arizona, but Martin Shkreli is playing the crazy card in New York!

Will the witnesses say they laughed at him?..yes!, Will they confess to mocking him behind his back? Yes! Will the witnesses say they wanted to punch his despicable face?..Yes! Your honor, I want to punch my client in the face right now and the only reason I’m not doing it is I want to get my hands on some of his incredibly huge pot of money. Its what makes the mocking and face-punching worthwhile.

It would be fun to be his lawyer!

This argument doesn’t even make sense to me. They can wind up better off all they want. That doesn’t change whether he defrauded them. You defraud my grandma to give you money for your bullshit snake oil. Grandma gets some and throws up, and goes to the hospital, where her health complaint is actually dealt with. So she’s better off. You still defrauded her.

Sure, in a civil case, you might not be able to get damages. But you still broke the law, and the law presumably exists for a reason. A lot of corruption exists because everyone involved makes out better than when they started. It’s still corruption, and it’s still illegal.

Judge: Shut up, Mr. Shkreli.

Is he out on bail? Wouldn’t flapping his lips, or ignoring an order to STFU be a violation of his bond?

Slight hijack: how does that work? Do they say “hand it over” and lock him up until he does? Presumably they can add him to the “do not fly” list which would keep airlines from letting him board an international flight, but as far as I know you don’t need to show a passport when exiting a country by car, and presumably the other country (which would have to be Canada or Mexico, by car) is under no obligation to honor that restriction.

Leaving by commercial boat might pose the same issues as flying, but a private charter might not follow those rules either.

emphasis added

You don’t need to show a passport to leave the US, but you do need to show a passport to enter Canada (and I presume Mexico as well).

Closing arguments Thursday morning!

So when does the guilty verdict come out? I wanna watch that sickening smirk on his face disappear.

He probably won’t stop smirking until he finds out that Club Fed is nothing like the movies make it look.