Maryland Dopers: best way to get from Baltimore to Frostburg?

I recieved word today that a friend of mine has just joined the faculty of Frostburg State University. I haven’t seen him in many years and would like to go visit him after he gets settled, perhaps next year during a school break.

I live in Oregon so would fly from Portland PDX to Baltimore (any other options? I assume Baltimore is the closest big airport). My question is simple: what is the best way to get from Baltimore to Frostburg? Keep in mind that easy is better than quick. I’m used to driving on 2-lane highways or I-5 in rural areas – I don’t know shit about driving in a big city (although I can navigate Portland without difficulty). Is there a train service (Amtrak?) that is convenient? Greyhound?

Any Dopers who are from that area or went to school there and can tell me a bit about it? Is it a walkable city? Would I need a rental car? Easy to navigate?

Any help would be much appreciated.

I think Pittsburgh is closer. Morgantown would be also if you can get a flight to there.
best way to get from Baltimore to Frostburg?
Offensive but once common type of answer:

Marry your sister

Frostburg is roughly around the halfway point between Pittsburgh and Baltimore, a little more to the Pittsburgh side but not by a huge amount. From Pittsburgh you can take I-79 south (be careful where it joins up with I-70 east then splits off again), then take I-68 east straight to Frostburg. Getting out of Pittsburgh will be the only hard part.

From Baltimore, take I-70 west then I-68 west straight to Frostburg.

All interstates involved are at least 2 lanes and are decent roads. Try to avoid rush hour traffic in either Pittsburgh or Baltimore. Other than that there’s not much traffic to worry about. I-79 is a flat and easy drive, as is I-70 coming west from Baltimore. I-68 is a bit hilly but it’s a good road. Frostburg is right off of I-68 so either way is simple to get there with very few turns. Getting out of Baltimore is pretty easy. Just take the road away from the airport, get on 95 north to get to the Baltimore beltway, take the beltway west to I-70, then take I-70 all the way to I-68. Getting out of Pittsburg is a bit trickier, but it’s not horribly bad (IMHO). I haven’t driven near Pittsburgh lately though. Try to find out if there is construction or any weirdness going on around there that might make your life difficult.

You will need a car to get around Frostburg.

There’s no train service that will get you there that I am aware of. There is a train in Frostburg but it’s a scenic steam locomotive, not Amtrack or anything close to that. There used to be a good restaurant in the train station, but it’s been at least 10 years since I’ve been there. I don’t know if it is still there.

You can probably get there by Grayhound, but I wouldn’t recommend it. Grayhound stops in every little town along the way. It’s about a 2 1/2 hour drive from either Pittsburgh or Baltimore (maybe 15 minutes less from the Pittsburgh side). I’d expect it to take twice that by bus.

Thanks for the info. I have the small-town fear of driving on big, 6-lane highways, toll roads, miles of bumper-to-bumper traffic, etc. I was hoping there was an Amtrak route or even a puddle-jumper flight service. It sounds like that driving from Baltimore isn’t too bad though.

Anyone know if there is decent lodging in Frostburg? According to Wiki it has a population of 7-something thousand, not sure how “college town” it is.

I hope you’re ok with steep hills, fog, and occasional torrential downpours.

There’s a lot more traffic then one thinks between Baltimore and Frostburg. Frederick can be bad, especially with the current work they are doing there. Between there and Hagerstown, I-81 it can be packed as well. Depending on when you’re going you might hit a lot of traffic or none at all. Driving would be about 2.5-3 hours.

You might be able to take a train to Cumberland, which is about 20 minutes by car away. I’ve never looked into it though so I wouldn’t know how many trains stop there.

There might also be flights from Baltimore to Hagerstown, which will still leave you a drive, but it would be just over an hour.

I went to school there and so did at least one other doper. It is a walkable city, it’s not very big. There’s not a whole lot to do there though. Is your friend going to live in Frostburg, because if not then you’ll need a car. I will tell you that Frostburg can have pretty bad winters, when it rains in Cumberland it might be snowing in Frostburg.

It’s a college town alright. I think a lot of those 7,000 people are the students themselves. There are two or three hotels in town along with a few more in LaVale which is only a few minutes east on I-68.

Thanks guys. If I do decide to make the trip I might PM you with more questions if that’s ok. Being from southern Oregon torrential rain, fog, and driving in the dark are the norms for me. It would likely be over summer break anyway. I don’t foresee having the time or money to do it over Christmas or spring break.

EtH, what was your impression then and now of the university? Good school?