Mashed potatoes - peeled or not?

I can honestly say that I have never once in my life encountered unpeeled mashed potatoes.

I wouldn’t have any issue eating them like that, but I’ve never come across it before. Perhaps because I would never order mashed potatoes in a restaurant, I suppose; I’d take the baked or fries, or rice alternatives.

I leave them unpeeled but I cut them into chunks before boiling so the pieces of skin are never very large.

When doing large batches I use the kitchen aid and I find that a fairly large portion of the skins tend to stick to the beaters allowing me to snack on them directly :slight_smile:

Depends on the meal.

I have a recipe for garlic herbed mashed potatoes that is better with the skins in. I wouldn’t call the results refined. I serve them with ribs or burgers.

For fancy family dinner I prefer to peel them.

All of this, exactly, including the part about the beaters.

I always peel, at least partially to get rid of eyes, green spots, etc. I think yellow pototoes make the best mashers and I don’t like the skin on those very much. I will leave some skin on the red ones.

I rice mine too. And hate peels in mashed potatoes. But I peel them first so it doesn’t clog it up. Skins in mashed potatoes just seems lazy to me, and it just doesn’t taste right.

I have never heard of mashed potato having the skin included, and had no idea that some people make it that way. I mean, I like the peel, in baked potatoes, potato skins, and so on. But in mash? No.

Since the potatoes come from the garden and are usually cooking only minutes after death, I don’t bother peeling them. I hate really smooth mashed potatoes anyway. Ricers should be banned. Ugh. Wallpaper paste.

Lumpy, with skins, only way to go. Gotta have some texture!

Peeled!

I hardly ever make the mashed – they take too long IMO to do it right – but when I do, I go all classic puree. Get the skin outta there. I’ll cop to having saved the peelings and pan-fried them for a breakfast fit for a lazy man, though.

That might be interesting. Just fry them in bacon grease or butter with some salt?

Depends on the potato. We often use red potatoes, so the skin stays in.

Your handle is (oddly!) apt, if you bring animal fat into it. Yeah, that’s it. Lots of salt, and some high-quality animal fat.

Nope, no peeling. It’s too bothersome and gets rid of too much of the nutrients and taste. I mash with a hand-held masher, like this one. I like the lumps and peel - yummy goodness.

I wanted to add that while I don’t peel, I do go over the potatoes and remove any eyes or patches of really rough, thick skin. I also cut each potato into about 8 pieces so there aren’t big slabs of skin in the final mashed potatoes.