Masks? Scarves?

Last night dt said it was suggested for americans, but he wasn’t going to do it. So what is everyone doing?

I can’t sew. It’s not happening. What kind of scarves are good? What material are we looking for?

What are the effects of various fabrics: T shirt, wool, poly?

Have you looked for a mask? Found one?

Google “no sew face masks”.

I have a lot of scarves. Winter scarves. Decorative scarves. Bad hair day scarves. All of them are getting conscripted into service since I have no medical masks.

I wore one while riding around on my scooter a few minutes ago. I got a few stares, but I wasn’t the only masked person out there. The only awkward thing is that it is harder to signal your friendliness while wearing a mask. I’m used to just smiling at strangers, not waving or saying “hello”.

I have scarves galore. Probably use them. But only grocery shopping or the like. Around this village of 2000 no need.

I ordered some cloth masks on Etsy, homemade by someone. I ordered them Tuesday and they’ll be here this Monday. I can sort of hand sew, but I don’t have a sewing machine and it seemed like a pain to make these myself…it would take me forever. We’re going to stay at home as much as humanly possible, but if we do have to go out for some reason, we’ll have some cloth masks.

I just went out to pick up lunch – we made a carryout order from our favorite brunch place, wanting to help support them.

I wore one of my wife’s bandanas (in pink :smiley: ), tied around my lower face like a stereotypical Old West bank robber. After I’d put it on, I turned to my wife, and said, “What time is the stagecoach, Butch?”

I have some masks from the Doctors office. Not that I’m going anywhere.
The lil’wrekker has been pulling out all her fashion scarves and giving us a floor show. She’s nutty. Cause she ain’t going out either. :eek:

No-sew face cover. I made one out of a cloth napkin arranged corner to corner, and it worked fine.

As for fabric, knits are no good since stretching opens up holes. 100% cotton is recommended, the higher the thread count the better. “Fat quarters” for quilting is the best at 180% TC and is sized to cut down easily for the above method.

I ordered a bundle of 10" x 10" squares, enough to sew 25 masks. There are amazing bargains on that site.

I checked JoAnn, but they’re selling out fast. Looks like the quilting community is really stepping up.

Here’s a non-video presentation of that method. I tried it with the bandanna I have been using and it’s okay. The last fold-in step needs to be better thought out.

I placed an order yesterday for a couple of face covers from Turtle Fur
www.turtlefur.com

30% Off, Shipping is FREE, and products are manufactured domestically by this small, cool, high quality company in Vermont.

Two no-sew styles:

https://blog.japanesecreations.com/no-sew-face-mask-with-handkerchief-and-hair-tie

https://external-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/safe_image.php?d=AQCWVyJvOZfJ97Pn&url=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.giphy.com%2Fmedia%2FXHXb2GdNeY7TkcQwhd%2Fgiphy-downsized-large.gif&_nc_hash=AQC4vHCaTp47fn37

Article about which fabrics seem more effective (TLDR: tight, woven):

Yup, I was out & tried for rubber bands. Nope. Got a jumbo pack of hair elastics.

What about tubes or gaiters?

I suppose you could put something under the tube of any fabric you want.

CNN article -all you need - 2 pieces of tight-weave cotton fabric, 9 x 6 inches (per mask)
4 strips of fabric, 2 x 16 inches (per mask)
Ruler
Sewing machine OR needle and thread
Pencil or marker
Scissors
A handful of sewing pins
Iron

1. Cut your fabric into two 9 x 6-inch rectangles. Place them on top of each other. On the top of the 9-inch side, pin or mark a 2-inch opening in the center of the top edge of the 9-inch side, between the 3.5- and 5.5-inch points, along the top edge. Then, sew the edges on either side of where you pinned or marked the opening. You’ll need that 2-inch opening to turn the mask right side out… Sew the other three sides of the mask shut, too… Turn the mask right side out through the 2-inch opening you left on the top. Then, press the mask with an iron to get rid of wrinkles. Line your ruler up vertically along the 6-inch side of the mask. Starting at the 1.5-inch line, pin where you’ll sew your pleats down the side. These pleats help the mask stretch. Pin again at the 2-, 3-, 3.5-, 4.5- and 5-inch lines.
  2. Bring the pin at the 1.5-inch line down to the 2-inch line, and voila, you’ve made a pleat! Repeat with the 3-inch to the 3.5-inch and the 4.5-inch to the 5-inch line. Pin your new pleats, and repeat on the other side.Make mask ties
  3. Cut four strips of fabric, 2 inches wide by 16 inches long. It goes on

This is not helpful. Lots of great suggestions here, I did the Japanese “no-sew” one. Shared it with everyone I know.

I’ve read that you can cut a stocking into rings and use them instead of hair ties, but I haven’t tried it.

Now that TP appears to be in ample supply but masks are impossible to find, I have this non-serious idea about wrapping a few layers of double-ply Cashmere around my face and fastening the end with masking tape. Sure, there might be whispered comments about “the idiot wearing toilet paper on his face” but hey, these are not ordinary times! :smiley: There are actually serious videos about making masks out of paper towel, like this one, but it seems to involve a lot of work and a lot of double-sided tape for something that is for one-time use and of dubious benefit.

Personally, I’m mostly going to stay home and use some combination of latex gloves and hand sanitizer when I go out. All stores that are still open are now enforcing occupancy-limit and social distancing rules and that should be good enough. By far the strictest are the government-run liquor stores.

I tried the bandana and hair tie thing tonight. No go. I don’t know if my ears are too small or the hair ties were too stiff, but there was no chance it was staying on. Just tying the bandana in the back worked better for me, but I think you lose some layers.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone tried using iron-on fusing tape? I have basic hand sewing skills, but for people who don’t?

I ordered some stretchy hair ties/wraps from Target to use instead of elastic, which seems to be in very short supply. Or maybe you could even use potholder loops? I have also seen suggestions to use cut-up tights or T-shirts for the ties.

Instructions from the CDC. Scroll down for no-sew mask instructions.

I’m using a large bandana.

I’ve been using bandanas but with held with a hair tie at the back instead of knotting them. Makes them more adjustable.