Masonic Lodges today

I’ve been curious about the Masons since my father joined after I went away to college. He was telling me once what a fine organization it was and how I might one day want to belong. Because I didn’t know much about it (and because my father was always a substantial bigot), I was pretty doubtful and started asking him questions. I asked if Jews and blacks could be Masons, and he said, “Yes, but not many are.” Then, after recalling that there was a Catholic organization called the Knights of Columbus, I asked him if Catholics could be Masons. His answer was a curt, “No”. When I asked why, he said, “You know what Catholics have to do, don’t you?” The only thing I could think of was Confession. So I said, “They have (or are supposed, I guess) to go to Confession, but they’re supposed to confess their sins, aren’t they?” The conversation came to a halt at that point as my father refused to elaborate further.

Years later I read “Foucault’s Pendulum”, a novel by Umberto Eco (a writer of historical fiction that is rich in actual history). The book (I highly recommend it) is about some guys who fabricate a hoax about an elaborate plan supposedly involving the Masons, Druids, Templar Knights, Rosicrucians, Brazilian voodoo, and some source of fabulous mystical power. Suddenly, the hoax creators start mysteriously disappearing, the implication being that hit periously close to some truth and are now being eliminated because they know too much.

Anyhow, the book talks a lot about the Masons and the origins of FreeMasonry. Eco makes a big deal about the Templar Knights, who during the time of the Crusades had become the original bankers in Europe. They rose to such a level of power that the King of France and Pope cracked down on them, forcibly disbanding the order and putting their leader to the stake (torched him). The leader’s name was Jacques DeMolay. (All of this about the Templars and Demolay is well established history.)

Curiously, the young mens version of the Masonic Lodge today is called “DeMolay”. Hmmmmmmm. This would certainly explain some of the animosity that persists today between the Masons and the Catholic church. Or, maybe, the Masons just chose Demolay’s name for their young men’s group to tweak the nose of the Catholic church. I don’t know.

Finally, what in God’s name is the deal with the Shriners? What little I know about them is that they are an organization of 32nd or 33rd (whatever the highest order is) Masons that was formed in the early 1900s in NYC, NY. I do not get what the deal is with the Fezs, scimitars and sashes that they wear or, for that matter, why these grown men drive Harleys or weird funky little cars around in tight formation in parades. Man, that stuff is WEIRD! I think there’s good cause for being seriously afraid, here.

(But they do good work funding/operating hospitals for needy kids, especially burn victims!)