Massachusetts Dopers, Please Tell Your New Neighbor-to-Be About Springfield

Finally, a question I can answer…

I was born and raised in Springfield, moved to Boston for college, and went to Umass for grad school, so I pretty much know the area.

Noho is pretty far away from Springfield if you want to commute. Even though there aren’t a lot of people commuting, the main highway, I-91 is horribly designed, and traffic is horrible. Legend has it that it was altered in the design process so that a selectman wouldn’t have it near his house.

You might look into South Hadley, Ludlow, and some parts of Chicopee and West Springfield for housing needs. Those will put you comfortably in between work and play (play is definitely Noho. Don’t bother in Springfield.) and they will be much, much cheaper than Noho, due to less competition from college kids.

Gaming and comic stuff can be had at the Dragon’s Lair in West Springfield. The Space-Crime continuum noted above has no/few comics, but the owner is really cool.

I have a good friend who got a masters in statistics at Umass, and he swears that the math program is very easy and very boring. He’s a bitter guy though, so YMMV. Western New England College is a decent engineering school in Springfield, but I don’t know what they have for math graduate study.

The best secret about Springfield is Tony’s pizza. It’s on State Street, which you’ll get to know well. I would come home some weekends from school in Boston just for some pie. Mmm.

If you’re interested in plays, music, etc., the Noho/Amherst area can be great when school is in session. Smith College and Umass have a lot going on, as does Amherst College. Umass is really into basketball, so those games can be a good time.

Remember that Boston is less than 2 hours away. It’s not far, and can be a great day or weekend trip.

Hey Lego

Welcome to Mass ! What the others said about Central and Western Mass being a seperate entity from Boston is quite true. Worcester is the hellhole separating the two.

Northhampton is indeed a cool place, lots of lost hippies, hairy legs, good food, good attitude. I’m about 45 minutes away from there and make sure to visit it often in the summer.

Someone should start up a CENTRAL/WESTERN MASSHOLE DOPEFEST !

Another vote for Northampton… I’ve never been to Springfield, but I’ve heard it’s kinda scary and depressing. Of course, that’s just word-of-mouth, so I don’t know how much stock you want to put in it.

Northampton’s quite nice, friendly, very liberal, and it’s in a nice area (especially if you like outdoorsy stuff). As others have said, Western Mass and Eastern Mass are a world apart. Boston and the East get all the publicity, but if you ask me, the Western towns are a lot nicer and more old-fashined New Englandy.

Good luck with your relocation plans!

Love, Kn*ckers

:smiley: It ain’t that big of a state, we could get everyone involved ya know :wink: