Massacre of Blacks in Mississippi in WW II?

I listen to a lot of talk radio–much of which in my area deals with the Confederate Flag above the SC State House–and a Black man was talking to the local host about racism.

He mentioned that in WW II, at some fort in MS that there was a massacre (in the HUNDREDS) of Blacks. I assume they were supposedly Black soldiers, but he didn’t have any details. So it could have been over a period of time.

The host was surprised, because he had never heard of this. Neither have I?

The closes thing to this that I can recall is the Blacks who were injected with syphilis (I think).

Is there any kernel of truth in this?

I have never heard of a black massacre during WWII in Mississippi. There was an ammo station in California that was staffed with black seamen who complained about their lack of training to handle the explosives. Eventually there was an accident which killed quite a few sailors, after which the survivors went “on strike.” They were tried for mutiny and several of the leaders may have been executed. Between the explosion and the executions (if any), quite a few blacks were killed, there.

The syphilis project at Tuskegee started out with good intentions. The men were not injected with syphilis, but were put into controlled groups to test sulpha and other drugs. The horror/tragedy occurred when it was it was shown that penicillin clearly cured syphilis, but the trials went on so that the doctors could document the progression of the disease instead of curing the men.

Tom~

Possibly the reason that you’ve never heard of it is that it didn’t happen.
This sounds like a rathered garbled remembrance of the Fort Pillow massacre: Bedford Forrest did order an attack, in which no quarter was to be given, on Fort Pillow, which was defended by black soldiers (and white soldiers, also). Forrest’s troops did kill between two and three hundred blacks (two hundred blacks soldiers were certainly killed; the rest were black civilians).
As mention of Bedford Forrest will let the cognoscienti know, this happened during the Civil War, not World War II. And Fort Pillow is in Tennessee, not Mississippi (although I believe that it is on the Mississippi River). Aside from these minor details of place, time, and prepertrators, however, what remains of the story is accurate.

“Kings die, and leave their crowns to their sons. Shmuel HaKatan took all the treasures in the world, and went away.”

I heard of the project too tomndebb. What a trajedy. :frowning: Sad. Very sad. I am a former member of the NAACP.

Must be some made up tale. As far as I know there is only one “fort” in MS on a barrier island. It’s been a park for years and certainly wasn’t used during WWII.