Masterpiece: Any Human Heart

Did anyone else watch this wonderful mini-series (three episodes on PBS)? Maybe it just struck a chord because I’m getting older, but I thought it was top notch in every respect. If you get a chance, give it a try.

It was fucking brillant. Toward the end it was getting really dark, but the ending was very satisfying. And was it just me, or did Kim Cattrall look a hell of a lot better than she did in Sex and the City 2? Of course it helps that she was wearing age approriate clothing and not pretending to be a thirtysomething.

Cattrall was the only off-putting aspect of the entire series. I’ve never like her as an actress, and really hate that smirk of hers. But the rest of it was, as you say, fucking brilliant.

I wonder if the book is good? I thoroughly enjoyed every bit of the movie. Gillian Anderson was such a hoot! I thought most of the casting was just so perfect.
I love Masterpiece Classic! They are always so amazing. I need to watch Downton Abbey next.

I haven’t seen the TV series, but I read the novel a few years ago and it was fantastic. William Boyd is one of my favourite novelists. I still like his farcical A Good Man in Africa (which was made into a mediocre Sean Connery film) the best.

I’ve only watched the first one so far, have the other two ready on DVR but not sure I liked it that much, probably because I loved Downton Abbey - it just doesn’t compare as well. But will give it another chance.

The two programs are not even remotely the same, other than people having British accents, so I don’t know why you’d compare them. But give it a few weeks and try again.

I don’t know…two programs on Masterpiece Theater running one right after the other? Don’t know why anyone would compare them :rolleyes:.
However, that being said, I did watch the second installment tonight and liked it quite a bit more than the first. The supportive cast was stronger (Brutus! Mr. Bast! That guy from Gosford Park!) and the plot seemed more engaging.

I loved Any Human Heart, though yes, it did get dark at times. The ending was superb. I wish all TV was like this.

Oooh! Coming in April on Masterpiece: a new Upstairs, Downstairs.

I bought the series on Itunes. I’d say it’s a decent adaptation. I’m certainly enjoying the explicit sexuality and nudity. It makes me want to go back and read the book again.

I must say though, the American characters have horrible accents.

Does it deepen or undermine your appreciation of the series to know that the book it’s based on is a novel, and its story an entirely fictional narrative? (I.e., there was no such obscure belletrist/author/art dealer…).

I thought for a long time into it that it was based on an actual obscure memoir by an obscure writer I’d never heard of; learning it was all fiction lessened my interest and appreciation considerably.

I had been reading William Boyd novels for years before Any Human Heart came out, so it never occurred to me that it wasn’t fiction.

But, no, I don’t think it would have lessened my interest. In fact, if I had believed it was a memoir, I probably would never have read it.

I missed it, and didn’t even hear about it. I went to wiki, but the tv article is incomplete, and the novel article is very convoluted.

Anyone want to describe or explain this thing to me?

Well, in simple terms it’s the life story of a writer, right from his schooldays to old age, and the relationships and events his life intersects with. Think of it as Forrest Gump with a British accent. :smiley:

Edit: actually, I was totally joking about the Gump thing, but on Googling I find several reviews saying exactly that! Seriously, it’s a lot better done and infinitely less saccharine.

I just might look into it, since so many seem to have found it enjoyable.

I would, however, appreciate a little more info, so I don’t waste my time.

Is it a period piece? What period? Drama? Murder mystery?

Give us something, anything, to go on, please!

The genre is literary novel.

The novel is in the form of personal journals of Logan Mountstuart, a fictional person. They begin some time in the 1920s, I think, and end in the 1970s. Even though it’s in the form of first-person memoir, it tells a broad story of an individual’s life, and touches on a variety of themes, including love, lust, luck, loss, disillusionment, and alienation. Also emphasized is the notion that as we age, we actually become different people, not just the same person but older, and that a lot of what happens to us, good and bad, is a matter of chance. Along the way, Mountstuart encounters a variety of real celebrities, including authors, poets, artists, and members of the royal family.

Didn’t see the TV thing, but the book was astonishing.

I just watched it the other day and thought it was brilliant. It took me a while to adjust to the transiition from Matthew MacFadyen to Jim Broadbent as the lead but otherwise…great stuff