Masters 2021

We’re back to a Spring Masters and all is right with the world. I’m going way out on a limb (not really) and going to pick Jordan Spieth to win. Thankfully Tiger won’t be sucking up all the oxygen this tournament

Let’s use this thread for discussions and predictions, I’ll be watching a ton of this year’s tournament

Justin Roses’ first round was pretty amazing. He’s been close at Augusta before, so maybe he’ll get it this year.

Tommy Fleetwood recorded the 23rd hole in one at a Masters in round 1.

Once again, golf thread fails to gain traction at the Dope. I’ve never understood it.

It’s partially my fault. I’ve been watching a lot but I’m in a group chat with my fantasy baseball league and we’ve been mostly discussing it in real time along with our usual baseball banter.

I have watched bits and pieces over the last two days, and what has struck me is… there have been NO advertisements. How do they do that?

I haven’t watched this year’s tournament, but in the past, CBS has had fairly minimal commercials on the Masters, as well. They sign on a small number of high-profile sponsors, who do run ads during the limited commercial breaks.

Who is it with terrible mic awareness and is breathing on it? Hearing the “whoomph whoomph” is awful.

There was one year they didn’t have commercials at all. It was in the early 2000s, I think it was some sort of women’s protest so they just went commercial free.

The Masters is very unique in the degree of control the club has over the television - and the participants. If in the least curious, there is plenty to read on the history of Augusta CC and the Masters.

Pretty boring that Matsuyama took the lead w/ what - 4-5 holes late Sat after the rain delay, then no one else seriously challenged him on Sun.

Regarding the commercials, I think it’s kind of like what the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has when it comes to their contract covering broadcast control with ABC.

It was close for a bit on Sunday, then Matsuyama got the strokes back and the competition just couldn’t catch up. Schauffele’s triple bogey on 16 really killed any last challenge.