Matt Gaetz being investigated for sex with 17 year old girl (DOJ declines to charge 2023-02-15)

In reading the stories about the Tucker Carlson interview (I couldn’t stomach to see either of those guys), one of the inexplicable things he was saying was that he denied traveling with an underage girl.

Which makes me wonder if the thinks “trafficking” has something to do with transportation. My RWNJ Facebook friends seem to have thought that several months ago when Q was trying to “save the children.”

I think travelling across state lines for “immoral purposes” makes it a federal crime.

Yeah, those annoying “state lines” - kicks everything up to the Feds, y’know.

Still a legit WTF from the viewer’s end - “Wait, the host is giving him a chance to extricate himself and he instead continues to flail and drags the host in?”

a/ka “How to quickly make an ardent States’ Rights supporter claim that we are ‘all just one country.’”

Grand
Old
Pedophiles

Best response:

This aged so well that Matt Gaetz is no longer interested.

Yep. Chuck Berry went to prison for it. Seems to me like Rep. Gaetz is getting really nervous…

Of course, his crime was for doing it with a white woman, not an underaged one.

No, his crime was that she was underage. She wasn’t (depending on your definition of “white”) white, either – she was a Mexican of indigenous descent.

ETA – I’m doing this from memory. I’ll check later. But if I’m wrong, I’m wrong. Certainly Berry’s race would have influenced his treatment by the authorities in any case.

No, you’re right: https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/chuck-berry-is-arrested-on-mann-act-charges-in-st-louis-missouri

I think I was confusing him with Jack Johnson, who was jailed for transporting a white woman: https://www.history.com/news/white-slave-mann-act-jack-johnson-pardon

I feel sorry for any female involved with this choad regardless of her age.

His denials are extremely specific aren’t they.

…I didn’t travel with any underage girls.
…There are no pictures of me with girl prostitutes

From what I can tell, the investigation of Gaetz flowed from the investigation of a corrupt politician named Joel Greenburg. Greenburg came under the scrutiny of law enforcement because of some election related fuckery he was engaging in (Roger Stone may have been involved). The investigation soon spread to other crimes, which have not be publicly disclosed - but they involved fake ID’s and underaged “sugar babies”.

Sugar babies are young attractive women who seek “arrangements” with older affluent men, relationships that involve travel and expensive gifts, sometimes cash gifts. They are websites that facilitate such arrangements.

I’m going to speculate that maybe Gaetz was involved in such a relationship and he may not have been aware that the girl was underaged, because of the fake ID angle. It’s also possible that Greenburg set him up in this relationship to compromise him.

As for Gaetz’s claim he was being extorted, that may just be a Trumpist style smear of a law enforcement agent.

There is nothing improper about a federal agent pressuring his girlfriend for details of possible illegal activity, even if she wants to protect him. The agents might even lie to her and scare her and try to trick her into thinking they have evidence they don’t have. Despite what white collar criminals like Donald Trump would like you to believe, these are time-honored investigative techniques and agents that engage in these tactics are only doing their jobs.

But even if a rogue agent fished for a bribe to make the case go away, that doesn’t mean there is anything wrong with the case.

Just my idle speculations.

ETA : But even if he had this “arrangement” with an 18 year old women, it’s still sleazy behavior that should be disqualifying for a politician, even if it’s technically legal. But “technically legal” is the new Republican excuse/defense for everything.

ETA 2: My brother didn’t know who Gaetz was, until I said “You know…Butthead”. Then he knew.

Given that there’s a live boy in evidence, should we be concerned about the well-being of the girl?

A while back he was making comments about all of the crowds in Florida for spring break and he was saying that he didn’t want his “son” to go, because he’s just a teenager.

Wasn’t this Gaetz guy an extra in every Nazi Youth movie ever made?

Spring Break Nestor is not the same person as Original Flavor Nestor. A google search shows at least four different Nestors. I am dying to know what the real story is here.

Wait, what? I’m so confused.

People who never read anything voluntarily, but are trying to Sound Smart. That writing style is unfortunately rather common in college term papers.