Mayo

This question has long plagued me and I can’t help but wonder if maybe I am just missing it in the condiment section at the local grocery store. But why can’t you get mayo in a squeeze jar like mustard?

sure you can, just get a squeeze jar and put mayo in it.

Probably not a big sell item cause it looks like opening a big zit when you squeeze it.

many sub shops keep mayo in squeeze things. I would guess mayo isn’t available in as squeese bottle because people generally need to spread it with s knife, whereas with mustard, tetchup and relish, you can squeeze a little line on your hot dog.

To deal with men by force is as impractical as to deal with nature by persuasion.

I currently have two squeeze bottles of Hellman’s mayo, one regular and one low-fat, sitting right in my fridge, and I bought them off the shelf that way. I believe it’s a fairly recent packaging innovation.

I think Cecil covered this before, but the basic reason is that mayonaise is used in a lot of recipes. Since the usual amount needed is a tablespoon or two, it makes sense to have it in a bottle with a spoon-wide opening.

Mustard is used in cooking, but usually in the powdered form. Ketchup is also sometimes used, but usually as a substitute for tomato paste.

Bottom line, mayonaise is sold to be measured out into food, while mustard and ketchup are for squirting onto sammiches.

I’ve owned squeeze bottles of mayo before. The problem I had was that for some reason, the mayonaise always got really runny after a week or two.

Phil, I shall be more observant and look closely at the shelves when it is time to restock the pantry for mayo. Hellmans came up with a squeeze jar. Figures…someone steals my idear again before I thought of it.

Cecils’s answer is the same as Guy’s except for one point: mustard (like mayo) **is[/] used in many recipes. That’s why it’s available in short wide-mouthed jars. That’s also why ketchup is usually in skinny or squeezable bottles.

Cecil’s answer does not include mayo, since the question didnt ask about it. But the answer can be extrapolated to explain the paucity of squeezy-mayos.

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a1_181.html
Alphagene