Mazda recalls 2009 and 2010 Mazda6 because of spiders

There is a picture of the spider above the fold on the linked page:

A Mazda spokesperson was quoted as saying “Spiders… spiders… then you perish in flames…” before collapsing in a heap on the floor.

No, seriously, nobody knows why the yellow sac spider likes to build webs in that car and no others we know of:

They hate that ad and want the people who support it to die.

Gee, you’d think they would’ve preferred Alfa Romeos.

I knew there was a joke in there somewhere. Anyway, it doesn’t seem like a very practical location, nor one that would lead to an improvement in their offspring’s chances in life.

Spider Spider burning bright
In my car but out of sight
Who can say why there you weave
The little webs that you conceive
Roddy

I can’t figure this one one. Spiders having a midlife crisis? Awful publicity stunt by Julie Taymor? Sabotage by Volkswagen? Conspiracy between auto mechanics and arachnologists who’ll share the proceeds from the repairs?

Good grief. I have a 2009 Mazda 6- I’ve never heard of a yellow sac spider. Maybe all the redbacks here ate them.

How many accidents has this caused? I nearly ran off the road once when a spider dropped down from the rearview mirror. I wasn’t even driving a Mazda at the time. I can’t even imagine driving a car full of spiders shudders okay, I have to leave this thread now.

This is like some horrible nightmare.

If I’m remembering correctly, my SO had issues with her Ford Focus that was caused by spider’s nest in the fuel vent. When I was googling the problem (gas pumps at different gas stations would automatically shut off well before the tank was full), that was one of the possibilities. Turn out, according to the Ford dealer, that’s exactly what the problem was. I had no idea this was an issue, but apparently it is.

Weirdest recall ever?

I guess they did the recall over the web.

I drove a Mazda 6 for a month last year while my car was in for repairs, and I really liked it and contemplated doing a trade in. I’m really incredibly glad that I didn’t.

I’ve had it with these melon farming spiders in this mazda-fighting car!

This car IS a spider! http://spyder.brp.com/

This car is a bug AND a spider!

Here’s an example of one of the several forums I found about my SO’s fuel tank problem.

So, this has happened with other vehicles in the past (and my SO’s Focus is a 2005.)

I have a Spyder with a mouse infestation. My weiner dog took care of them. Go figure.

He’s supposta be a Badger Killer! I guess “Any port in a storm” and all that…

The critters and I stopped to see that last fall, tho it didn’t have the sign on it then.

Meh. It’s not the first time a product’s been recalled due to a bug in the system.

Or old Fiats for that matter.

I once had a spider infestation in a Cavalier. In all the calls to exterminators to try to make it go away, it never once occurred to me to report the infestation to Chevy. I can’t imagine they’d have cared or in any way blamed it on the car itself. In my case, the infestation was most likely due to my car being parked under a tree for a week while I went to Disney.