Me and Julio -- what was it we were doin?

Please note I’m cross-posting this from the General Questions section — I think it most definitely screams for the hand of the master to resolve – but I am not the originator.

I’ve heard Paul Simon’s song, “Me and Julio down by the Schoolyard” more times than I would care to, and I really can’t figure out exactly WHAT the singer and Julio did down by the schoolyard.
The chorus goes, “It’s against the law/ it’s against the law/ what my momma saw/ was against the law”

Apparently, whatever she saw was so bad that she “turned round and spat on the ground/ every time his name was mentioned/ when papa found out he began to shout/ ‘Gonna stick him in the house of detention’”

Later, we learn , “In a couple of days they’re gonna take [him] away/ but the press let the story leak/ when the radical preacher comes to get him released/ he’s all on the cover of Newsweek”

So exactly what was this heinous act? I’d love to get the straight dope on this…

-Meisje

Whatever it was, I bet it involved S-E-X.

Okay, I’m remembering more of the words. The narrator says something like “I’m on my way, don’t know where I’m going”. He also makes reference to “Rosie, the Queen of Corona”.

Here’s my top theory. Rosie is the narrator’s girlfriend. “The Momma” and “the Poppa” are Rosie’s parents. What the Momma saw that enraged both parents was their Rosie and the narrator having sex. Which could well have been “against the law” if Rosie were underage. The narrator therefore has to be on his way (has to take it on the lamb) to avoid being sent to the house of detention. The line “Me & Julio down by the schoolyard” is a reference to the happy teenage days the narrator must now leave behind, when he and his friend Julio hung out down by the schoolyard.

Okay, that’s the one senario. Alternatively, the Momma & Poppa may be JULIO’s parents. What the Momma saw may have been the narrator & Julio engaging in hanky panky down by the schoolyard. The shocked parents believe whatever was going on must be against the law. As in the other theory, the narrator is now on his way, so as to avoid arrest. But this fails to explain Rosie, and her role.

Um, “Rosie the Queen of Corona” most likely refers to the singer’s dominant hand. I think Paul Simon borrowed it from James Taylor (I think…), who sang, “Looks like it’s me and you again tonight, Rosie…” referring to another lonely night.

I think Him and Julio were engaging in a time-honored young male contest down by the schoolyard.

Um, “Rosie the Queen of Corona” most likely refers to the singer’s dominant hand. I think Paul Simon borrowed it from James Taylor (I think…), who sang, “Looks like it’s me and you again tonight, Rosie…” referring to another lonely night.

I think Him and Julio were engaging in a time-honored young male contest down by the schoolyard.

• Another fine production from Nitrosyncretic Press *

Except that “Me & Julio” is from Paul Simon’s first solo album from 1972, & “Rosie” is from Jackson Browne’s 1978 “Running on Empty”. :slight_smile:

Okee, fine. Maybe JB borrowed it from PS… and maybe there’s an older source for the name. But I’ll stand by the rest of it.

• Another fine production from Nitrosyncretic Press *

i don’t know what they were doing, but i like to think that Julio is really Art Garfunkel

shiner bock

“Now its over, I’m dead and I haven’t done anything that I want, or I’m still alive and there’s nothing I want to do.” – They Might Be Giants

Yes, there is a very old expressing regarding “rosie palm and her five sisters”. But I don’t buy it as a component of this song. If he meant rosie palm, he’d have been clearer. I think we should assume that the queen of Corona is a person.

Jackson Browne’s “Rosie” is about masturbation ("you wear my ring … ).

For some reason, I always assumed that they were smoking dope.

Corona is Latin for crown, and is used in anatomy to describe certain structures. So “Susie, queen of corona” would lend credence to the theory that the two were masturbating (in reference to the penis’s crown). Perhaps it was mutual masturbation, in which case the two kids would have caught some extra heat for that.

I’m only going on what I’ve read on this board, I’ve never actually heard or paid attention to the song.

Corona is also a neighborhood in the borough of Queens, in New York City. In the movie Men In Black, they show the New York World’s Fair; it’s located in Corona, within easy walking distance from my grandmother’s place.

I don’t know, what are the odds that Paul Simon wrote a song about getting caught masturbating with Art in the schoolyard? I always thought Queen of Corona was something to do with beer…

Actually folks, the lyric is “see you, me and Julio down by the schoolyard.” Since “the mama pajama rolled out of bed and ran to the police station,” I’m not sure what she could have seen. I’ve always assumed it was a nonsense song, sort of an urban Scarborough Faire.
Larry

I recall seeing an interview once where Paul admitted that he wasn’t sure exactly what they were doing down there by the schoolyard, but he felt that it was something “vaguely sexual”. That sounds a little odd… maybe he vaguely felt that it was something sexual – something like that. Unfortunately, I can’t remember exactly where or when this was, so file it under “hearsay”.

I also remember seeing an interview maybe 12 years ago in which Simon was asked about a public comment that had recently been made by a gay celebrity - a heavily affected, elderly playwright (I think) whose identity I can’t recall. Anyway, “me and Julio” was an “obvious” reference to homosexuality, according to the literary queen. Simon denied it, but didn’t answer our big question, either!