Meat eaters: Do you have any vegetarian meals in regular rotation?

We’re carnivores here but have a long list of vegetarian meals in regular rotation and quite a few of them are vegan in fact.

Acorn Squash stuffed wtih mushrooms & rice
Arabs Lentil Style Lentils Arab Style
Asian Noodle Salad
Asparagus and Wild Rice Soup
Bean and Cheese Chimichangas
Broccoli Egg-Lemon Soup
Icelandic Cauliflower Soup
Cheese Fondue
Coconut Red Lentil Curry
Colleen’s Mac & Cheese
Creamy Cocunut Lentils
Dan Dan Noodles
Falafel
Green Bean Mushroom Pie
Homny Corn Chowder
Hummus
Lentil Walnut Burgers
Baked Rigatoni & Zucchini Casserole
Baked Ziti
Pita Pizzas
Czech Potato & Mushroom Casserole
Sesame Noodle Salad
Pretzel Ring Beer Cheese Dip
Shiitake & Bok Choy Lo Mein
Slow Cooker Vegan White Bean Stew
Spanish Widowed Rice

I like meat, and eat it, but a lot of meat dishes are inconvenient or annoying to make for one, so I end up eating a lot of vegetarian meals. Baked beans, grilled cheese, bean burritos, and various pasta dishes are common staples.

If eating meat is disgusting to you, why do you do it?

Hubby does not consider it a real dinner unless it has meat in it somewhere. I did institute a ‘Meatless Mondays’ for a while and some of the meals I’ll still cook on occasion:

Lentil Soup
Homemade Mac 'n Cheese w side of baked acorn squash
One Pan Roasted Veggies (the original dinner was butternut squash, Brussels sprouts, chunked onions, widdle potatoes and whole cloves of garlic). This particular meal has lived on as a side frequent side dish.
Roasted Portabella Caps on Crusty Bread and Brie. (Now I want to make this again.)
Grilled Portabella Burgers.

There were more but this is all I remember off the top of my head.

Heh, the soup my gf makes that she calls Vegetable Soup contains a ton of veggies, but also little pieces of meat.

We eat beans of some sort regularly. Salads as well, but sometimes the salads have a non vegetarian ingredient.

Sweet potato and black bean burritos.

Black bean burritos

Hummus and bread

Tofu stir fry

Potato and leek soup (just finished off my most recent batch tonight)

Baked potato or baked sweet potato

I normally have a cheese sandwich for breakfast

Probably more. I’m definitely an omnivore - I like my meat, but I also like my vegetables.

While I used to enjoy more complicated pizzas, the last 4-5 years if I order pizza I pick a local place I really like, and get cheese. I’ve come around to thinking you’re getting a more pure appreciation for what should be the “craft” of the pizza–the crust and sauce, when you don’t pile it high with toppings. So cheese pizza that I maybe have once every 7-14 days is probably the closest to regular rotation for me.

The biggest influences on my home cooking are my Mom, and Jacques Pepin, both of whom grew up poor and believe in finding ways to “stretch” meat and animal products for every last bit of flavor. While I’m not poor myself, it’s hard to totally shed yourself of learned cooking behaviors. I have a few meals I commonly make that could be easily vegetarian, if I left out say, chicken or beef stock, didn’t have a little chopped up bacon or ham being used for flavor etc, but since I don’t actively ascribe to vegetarianism it’s not something I try to do.

It’s within my budget. But as I said, there are cheaper alternatives available now that weren’t in the past.

And I like to think at least I think of what I’m doing. Would that most people would even do that :slight_smile: .

I’m not a vegetarian but I often go two or three days in a row without eating meat

The main one in the rotation is Marcela Hazan’s pasta sauce* and whatever pasta I feel like cooking that night. So easy, and so freaking good!

1 28oz can of peeled tomatoes
1 onion, peeled and halved
5 tblsps butter
salt & pepper

Toss into heavy pot. Simmer 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove and discard onion. Pour over pasta.

Unless you’re talking about prepared foods, like fast food or delivery, aren’t vegetables, rice, and beans cheaper than meat?

Well, I wouldn’t eat it. I don’t like red peppers. :confused: We do have enfrijoladas in regular rotation. It’s beans and sour cream and tortillas. Salsa as desired.

I was thinking more along the lines of main courses, which for me means protein sources. Soy, etc. and protein concentrates v. meat. :slight_smile:

I sometimes eat bean burritos from Taco Bell, which sound vegetarian, but I swear they must contain lard or something because they’re tasty and satisfying in a way that vegetables are not capable of.

Homemade pizzas never include meat. Garlic and/or mushroom.
Rice and beans are a standard meal, in many varieties and different spice choices.
Green salads are the go to summer lunch.
Breakfast includes an egg maybe once a month, otherwise I have oatmeal and black coffee.

My vegetarian protein source is usually some kind of legume. Lentils, black beans, split peas, chick peas. Those are all cheap.

It started as a tomato bisque and we changed it. It could change back.

How come?

I said “why”, but Discourse wouldn’t let me leave it at that.