Meat-eaters' reviews of fake meat

I think a big factor is health. Lots of people are trying to cut back on meat, especially red meat, and even chicken can be problematic these days with all the hormones and crap they are pumped up with. So, if they can find a substitute, then so much the better. My concern would be to look closely at how the stuff is made and make sure it isn’t worse than actual meat in terms of healthiness.

so is meat the “new fat” or the “new eggs” as being the culinary “bad guy?”

There is precious little evidence to cut back on fresh meat unless you have kidney disease and need to avoid too much protein. There is some evidence to cut back on cured meat.

Anyway, an artificial meat that’s engineered to have the same nutrition profile as meat is likely to share the same health risks and benefits.

But the point is, someone cutting back on meat for health reasons might be wrong, but they’re not being illogical.

Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Lieutenant. Not the end.

I made some bean burgers with red beans recently (usually I use black) and on a whim, added a couple drops of Liquid Smoke.

Me (to husband): So did you like the red bean burger as much as the black?
Him: That was a bean burger?

I’m not suggesting that they’re equivalent; I just think he wasn’t really paying attention. And I made them a little thinner as well, so that they were crisper.

recipe pls? :slight_smile:

Okay.

I think I’ll wait until vat meat that’s genetically similar to meat animals is cost effective. Until then, I’ll eat tofu and falafel, not fake meat.

(I sometimes take my hamburger patty out of the bun and just eat it straight up. I suppose if you drench the thing in condiments you might feel differently.)

Why, sure!

Homemade Quick Black Bean Burger

Ingredients

1 (2-ounce) hamburger bun, torn into pieces [I just use premade bread crumbs]
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
2 teaspoons chopped garlic
1 (15.25-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 teaspoon grated lime rind
3/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 large egg white, lightly beaten

Combine 1 tablespoon oil, garlic, and beans in processor; pulse 8 times or until beans make a thick paste. Scrape bean mixture into bowl with breadcrumbs. Stir in rind and remaining ingredients. With moistened hands, divide bean mixture into 4 equal portions (about 1/3 cup mixture per portion), shaping each into a 3-inch patty.

Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add patties to pan; reduce heat to medium, and cook 4 minutes or until bottom edges are browned. Carefully turn patties over; cook 3 minutes or until bottom edges are done.

This is fantastic with guacamole as a topping.