Mechanical pencil recommendations

Second this choice. The 207 and 205 are just too thin, and I can’t use them for writing without breaking the leads.

I bought a Kuru Toga because if its reputation; unfortunately it was only available in 0.5mm, and I hate it. The graphite mechanism is pretty cool from the engineering perspective, but I just can’t like this pencil.

I have always wanted to find the equivalent to the telescopic ballpoint penI carry when I am traveling. It collapses to a short item that can be easily carried in my pocket, without sharp ends or a ball point potentially poking holes or leaving ink (also when dropped into my laptop bag- no danger of poking holes or leaving marks).

I want a mechanical pencil I can carry in a similar fashion. I’ve been able to find mechanical pencils with rounded writing ends (when the lead is retracted), but no short versions or versions where jostling or other actions won’t leave a sharp end exposed. While I have pretty much given up on the telescopic part, I’d like to find a short pencil (<4") with a rounded writing end. So far, no luck.

I’m pickier about leads than about the pencil itself, and 2B is great for writing on newsprint-type paper.

I still have the Pentel PS535 .5mm retractable pencil I bought in college, 40 years ago. I dropped it decades ago, and the plastic split where the two halves screen together, but I used epoxy and mold release spray to reinforce it, and it still works. I have tended to use very fine-point gel pens (G2’s) recently, but after reading this thread (damn you all to hell!), I decided to try a .3mm pencil to see how I liked it. I ended up buying a set of Alvin Draft/Tec pens in .3/.5/.7mm diameters. Cheap enough at <$20 for all three. I don’t do very much writing anymore, but I do a fair number of electronic / mechanical diagrams, so I decided against the Kuru Toga pencils. I wanted to try a .3mm, and the only Kuru Toga .3mm isn’t retractable, which is important for me, since I tend to do my design planning while I’m out at a coffee shop.

The Pilot Vanishing Point Mechanical Pencil (H1005) is the king of mechanical pencils for non-technical use. Or was – I think it’s not made any more. I have one working example and I keep a broken one around to cannibalize for parts.

Sleek, beautiful, works well, the tip retracts to protect it and your pockets. Solid feel.

One occasionally sees them on eBay for outrageous prices.

Here’s a review:

I find it unsettling that so many of people’s favorites–all with great qualities that endeared them to someone–are discontinued. I’d prefer to think that there was enough support for things I liked to keep them around rather than find out I am not a market driver after all.

I want 2 things from a mechanical pencil, a large eraser that twist-advances, and a retractable tip so it doesn’t poke me if I put it in my shirt pocket.

I’ve been buying the same pencil for many years under different names. They are all identical.

current example is a Skillcraft Twist Top.

Hey!
That’s the one I have, not the Pentel!
All the markings are worn off on mine, I couldn’t see who made it.

Show of hands: How many of y’all were engineers and/or drafters back in the day?

I prefer Pentel .7mm (linework)/.5mm (light sketching) HBs like that one in the OP. The one that automatically twists the lead is appealing, but since I still have fully functional muscle memory i don’t need it.

I love pencils and it’s good that my kid has my debit card.

+1 for the Quicker Clicker. I’ve always been partial to side click mechanical pencils.

And yes, back in the day I was an engineer who did a fair bit of hand drafting.

I almost had a permanent bruise on my manboob where i would advance the lead.

I need to start drawing again. Maybe I can incorporate my tremors into my style.

I still like using the [=mars%20technico"]Staedler Mars Technico 780](Search | STAEDTLER[q) for day to day stuff. I like the built in sharpener and the fact I don’t break the leads. Plus, if I need to shade in a drawing I can do that, although it isn’t that often I’ll admit.

Like **Lare **and dorvann, I miss the Sanford pencils. For me, it was the Sanford Digit 0.5mm, which also had the Papermate name on it for a while. When I was an intern, those were the pencils in the supply cabinet. By the time I went to grad school and came back, the pencils were no longer made. I still have one from then more than a decade later, and I keep it hidden so nobody walks away with it.

Thanks to dalej42 starting this thread, I did a google search on ‘my’ pencil and nabbed five used ones on eBay for $13 shipped. If I keep them away from pencil thieves, it’s a lifetime supply! Thanks, dalej42!