medial LSD

I have Multiple Sclerosis and my doctor is encouraging me to smoke medical marijuana. The few times I have tried it I felt that it didn’t help with my pain or my muscle spasms, it just got me high. This got me wondering, could doctors start prescribing medical LSD? I don’t think my I’d pay too much attention to my symptoms if I had pink spiders crawling in and out of my nose…

Is LSD approved by the FDA? That might be a problem if it’s not.

Marijuana isn’t approved by the FDA, but I can still smoke it legally if I want to.

A doctor might put you on to LSD for unbearable migraines. I doubt he’d write a prescription, though.

It was developed as a headache remedy, and it really works. Of course, its well-known side effects limit its usefulness in this regard, for *most *people.

There has been some limited studies recently of the possible medical benefits of LSD for PTSD patients.

LSD is currently a schedule I drug in the united states. This means it is not legally able to be prescribed or used in patients basically.
Required findings for drugs to be placed in this schedule: (Per Wikipedia)

1. The drug or other substance has a high potential for abuse.
  2. The drug or other substance has no currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States.
  3. There is a lack of accepted safety for use of the drug or other substance under medical supervision.

Except as specifically authorized, it is illegal for any person:

1. to manufacture, distribute, or dispense, or possess with intent to manufacture, distribute, or dispense, a controlled substance; or
    2 to create, distribute, or dispense, or possess with intent to distribute or dispense, a counterfeit substance.[2]

-R

Well, that’s odd; they use it in Fringe all the time…

Cite?

Not sure exactly what you are looking for a cite for, so:

LSD was developed as a headache remedy…

…and it really works.

As far as a doctor putting you on to it, I only have a second hand anecdote from a coworker that suffers from debilitating migraines, who was practically outraged that her doctor would suggest LSD when nothing else worked. I don’t really get the outrage, but then I’ve self medicated with MDMA for post-nasal drip, so what do I know?