Medico-Dopers... your assistance, please.

NOTE: THIS IS NOT A THREAD ASKING FOR MEDICAL ADVICE IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM

Now that the protocols have been taken care of…

I am trying to find a case study I read a while back, so that I may do a research summary on it.

The case was of an African American male who presented with seizures and what appeared to be psychotic behavior. I also seem to recall he was elderly, but that could be a mistake on my part.

Diagnosis was of Neurosarcoidosis, which was treated with anti-psychotics and anti-seizure meds, and he apparently did quite well on them. Surgery was not possible, if I recall correctly.

My google-fu has failed me, and I can’t seem to locate the case study again. Dang it.

Of course, my Medical jargon google-fu is vastly inferior to someone who actually slings the lingo. I have looked, and found several case studies of groups that include someone who matches this description, but the one I’m looking for was just this fellow.
If you can help me find this dang case study, I’ll cite you in my research summary!

(Mods, if this is in the wrong forum, please feel free to move it)

Is it this one?

http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/full/155/8/1106

(eta) On re-reading, I notice no seizures were present with this patient.

I found these on PubMed but unfortunately none of them have free full text. Anything sound right?

BINGO! Thank you very much!

Yeah, no seizures, but I think I may have mis-remembered those.

For my Basic Psych class I am supposed to write a Research Summary, in this case I am picking a patient who was believed to have psychological issues/organic brain damage, who was later diagnosed with Neurosarcoidosis.

My job? Determine the method they used to determine the diagnoses, if the testing followed the Scientific Method, and the outcome.

Thank you so much, this is a huge help.

Reason # 3348223 why I love the Dope!

Anecdote alert: I knew a guy who suffered with anxiety, panic disorder and depression for most of his life. He was completely disabled by his psychiatric illnesses. He was so non-functional but was trying so so hard to overcome these problems, it broke your heart to watch him not succeed.

Anyway, we lost touch, but I ran into him a couple years later. He was out and about and driving and looked amazing! He was with it and not freaking out! I ran up to him to say hi. Not a single flash of recognition crossed his face. I reminded him of who I was and where we met, etc. etc. and he said “Oh! Come to find out, I had neurosarcoidosis. That’s what caused all my psychiatric problems! I’m not actually mentally ill after all!” He didn’t have much, if any, memory of the past few years, but he was happy and healthy and living, once the neurosarcoidosis was treated.