Meet Steve, the purple streak of light

Meet Steve. He is a purple aurora or some kind of luminescence, drawn across Canada’s night skies like a bold stroke of the crayon. The strange part is, he’s not going anywhere. No shimmering, no dancing. He’s very static, and very purple, which is apparently the wrong color for a regular aurora.

I am thinking maybe this is a noctilucent cloud. Or a really sinister government contrail experiment. Or maybe the Russians did it.

Steve is awesome.

Steve is just pointing out where the next rave is being held. Only those in the know know to follow Steve. Bring a coat.

Thank you for sharing that. Now I want to go and see Steve in person.

OK, listen.

You guys are freakin Steve right out. We chilled earlier, he said we’d do Denny’s later.

If your cool, I’ll introduce you.

Somebody stop for wraps, I’ll get ya back.

Whatever it is, turns out Steve is not an aurora—as in, it’s not caused by solar wind interacting with Earth’s atmosphere.

The article says it’s “a ribbon of very hot and fast moving gas . . . moving at a speed of about six kilometres per second in a westward direction.”

What exactly is that supposed to mean? Where is this gas exactly? What is its origin? What gas is it? If it’s moving six km a second, why is it “static”?

What a useless article.

Steve is elongated in the E-W direction, so perhaps the article is saying it is moving along that axis, lengthwise, while stationary breadthwise.

Maybe we’re being visited by Hooloovoo, and the atmosphere is just doing some weird color shift.

Um, the article says:

Neither article answers those questions precisely because the answers are not known. It has nothing to do with the usefulness of the article(s).

Yeah I see that–my comment was more a result of the way the article fixated on the “cute” name so much, as if that were supposed to be interesting or amusing. It’s not.

“When you’re a carpenter making a beautiful chest of drawers, you’re not going to use a piece of plywood on the back, even though it faces the wall and nobody will see it. You’ll know it’s there, so you’re going to use a beautiful piece of wood on the back. For you to sleep well at night, the aesthetic, the quality, has to be carried all the way through.” –Steve

Has the Pharaoh of Canada released any nomadic tribes from captivity lately?

It is so cute! Are you not reading this thread?

Steve makes an appearance on one of my favorite YouTube channels. Also, I love Caitlin’s underbite and awesome baloney curls. I mean, who does baloney curls anymore?