Melbourne or Batmania

I’ve recently seen maps in which the Czech Republic is labeled Czechia. I think if you look at the Google map of Europe you will see that name.

Or maybe Penn Guinne.

That is the result of a (relatively recent - see news story here) announcement made by the Czech government encouraging the use of “Czechia” in English. Essentially, they were worried that people would grow tired of always using the cumbersome official full name, “Czech Republic” - they wanted a catchier short version of that, as has long existed in several other languages (including Czech itself). But “Czechia” didn’t catch on; it’s not widely used.

I hear/see it often enough and use it myself, usually needing to supress the instinct to say “Czech Republic.” But it’s still a minority usage, for sure.

There’s a contributor to Wikipedia who’s actively hostile to the name Czechia. Don’t know why, probably some political thing. Anyway, I compiled a list there and used Czechia as a subheading. He came in and changed it. I tried putting in both, with Czechia in parens. Nope, couldn’t do that. Did some research and found out about his hostility, so I waited a couple three months and changed it again. By then he must have moved on, since it hasn’t been changed back.

A few Sydney suburbs, but most not directly:

Banksia - named after the plant genus, itself named after Joseph Banks

Camellia - named after the flower, itself named after Joe Kamel [actually George Joseph Kamell, but too good to pass up]

Wallacia, named after an early pastoralist.

And Alexandria - lots of places called Alexandria

You’d be more confused if it had been called Mexican

In the December 1954 issue of Batman (#88), there’s a story written by Edmond Hamilton “The Mystery of the Four Batmen”, where the criminal is one of the “Batmen” on board a ship – a baseball player, achiropterologist (study of the flying mammals), and a pottery expert ( because of the “bats” used on pottery wheels), but it turns out that there’s a fourth “Batman”.

It turns out that “batman” is a unit of weight used in the Ottoman Empire (about 7 pounds 5 ounces). This undoubtedly came from Hamilton’s vast file of odd facts.

I didn’t learn until years later that “batman” means the servant of a commissioned officer in the British army. Neither, apparently, did Hamilton know it. (In one much later story, Alfred describes himself as “:Batman’s ‘batman’”)

Batman (unit) - Wikipedia.