Mellow, but happy songs

As I work on getting out of this depressive funk I’m in, I’m putting together a CD of songs that will help me. Basically, I want songs that are mellow (read: relaxing), but positive (not sad, lover’s lament stuff). I want to listen to them when I’m stressing out about things that I can’t control and relax, feel better.

Some examples of songs I’ve already got are Peter Gabriel’s version of “The Book of Love,” Josh Groban’s “So She Dances,” and Josh Groban’s “You’re Still You.”

I know Josh Groban probably has more, but I’m not looking to make Josh Groban CD. If there are other Josh Groban songs that you feel must be on there, suggest away, but I’m looking for about 15-20 songs to make this CD.

Any suggestions?

Traffic: “Low Spark of High Heeled Boys.” It is like a good rain.

Yeh, Steve Winwood has various mellow songs. Are you also interested in songs like “Groovin” (Wikipedia link) or “Why Do I Love You?” (amazon sample, #23) by Frances Langford and Tony Martin? To me they sound similar to your examples.

Walking in Memphis by Marc Kohn

“I’m Yours” by Jason Mraz. I’m not his hugest fan but this song is just adorable.
“Rolling On” by Mark Knopfler & Emmylou Harris – really the whole album they did together “All the Roadrunning”

Curtis Mayfield’s “No Thing on Me (Cocaine Song)” is real mellow and always puts a smile on my face.

Pretty much anything by the Grateful Dead.

Fleetwood Mac – Spare Me a Little of Your Love
Brian Eno – Golden Hours, Here He Comes, Julie With…, By This River, Spider and I
King Crimson – I Talk to the Wind, Islands
Strawbs – The Winter and the Summer, Benedictus
Jethro Tull – Reasons for Waiting, Look Into the Sun
Pink Floyd – San Tropez, A Pillow of Winds, Stay
Kinks – Sitting in the Midday Sun, Holiday, Sweet Lady Genevieve
Elton John – Michelle’s Song
Moody Blues – Emily’s Song, Tuesday Afternoon
Yes – Your Move
Jimi Hendrix – May This Be Love
Crosby, Stills & Nash – Our House

Instrumentals:
Hot Tuna – Water Song
Paul Winter Consort – Icarus
Fripp and Eno – Evening Star

Not totally mellow through the whole songs, but no one can stay down for long after listening to Kate Bush’s “Sunset” and “Nocturn.” There are a lot of great songs on that album, but those are my favorites.

There are several songs on this album that would work. It’s one of those “Sunday morning” type album, quiet, beautiful, relaxing. Some of the lyrics won’t work, several are quite dark, but you’d never notice unless you really pay attention. Songs that would work are “Summer,” “For We Believe,” “Collective Heart,” “Hold Me.” Almost all the songs are self-covers, done in acoustic versions for live radio station appearances and things like World Cafe/Echoes, and the original album versions are quite different, with more instruments and different arrangements. I have more suggestions but you may not like these so I’ll wait. I chose these two artists because you mentioned you like Peter Gabriel.

“California Stars” by Wilco always puts me in a good mood.

I’ve been a little obsessing about “I’m Alive” by Kenny Chesney and Dave Matthews. Normally, not two of my favorite singers, but there is something that just grips me about that song. I’m alive, and well.

“Peaceful Easy Feeling” by the Eagles. Mellow, peaceful, easy! And great vocal harmonies, too.

Oh, yeah, and how about:

Velvet Underground – Sunday Morning
Pink Floyd – Fearless
Lovin’ Spoonful – Rainbows All Over Your Blues, Daydream

Last winter, I was in a horrible, depressed mood. I listened to “Blue Sky”, by the Allman Brothers, and it was like medicine. Made me feel better instantly. Really remarkable.

I’m trying to stay more down-tempo. I want songs that are deep, calming breaths, not skipping in a park. I know this song is happy and about being relaxed and such, but the song itself is more up-tempo. Same goes with a lot of the Grateful Dead stuff. Touch of Grey comes to mind, and while it’s by no means hard-rock, it’s not soothing.

Those are both great suggestions… what else do you have up your sleeve?

Vince Guaraldi’s Linus and Lucy (Peanut’s Theme) Full version here.

Lakme’s Flower Duet Mostly known as some airline commerical song.

Maybe a bit too fast tempo-ed but Young Holt Ulimited’s Soulful Strut always makes me smile.

How about that old standard Theme from A Summer Place

Almost posted Norah Jone’s Don’t Know Why but that’s not a happy song at all.

This song might fit. It’s by a fella I just found, Corey Miller is his name. A lot of his songs, from the little I’ve heard, are like that. Mellow and downbeat, but not depressing. The linked song sure put a smile on my face when I first heard it on the radio.

Fill your heart with love today, don’t play the game of time…
…mmmm…forget you mine and you’ll me free…of thoughts unpure. And of thought unkind. Things that happened in the past only happened in your mine. Forget your mind and you’ll be freeeeee.

Funny thing to come from Ziggy Stardust but there it is.

Some stuff by the Grateful Dead, but certainly not anything. Not only, as Serenata67 said, is some of it up-tempo, some of it is downright depressing. Playing Black Peter to someone who is depressed could drive them to suicide!

Some Dead tracks that I think would meet the specifications are:
Uncle John’s Band
Ripple
Box of Rain
I Know You Rider
Brown-Eyed Woman
Ramble On Rose
Sugar Magnolia
Here Comes Sunshine
Eyes of the World
Weather Report Suite
Unbroken Chain
France
…I am sure there are lots more, but that is enough for now.

I really came to recommend Daydream (or, indeed, almost anything) by The Lovin’ Spoonful, but I see I’ve been beaten to it.