Memories

Which events of this century are going to stand out most in your mind as we enter Y2K? I’m talking about things that happened within YOUR lifetime…

For me, I think it would be man walking on the moon.
Also… the falling of the Berlin Wall, the lone man in Tiannamen (sp?) Square.
Viet Nam… the pictures in Life magazine, the tolling of the bells when the U.S. withdrew.
Challenger
The reintroduction of the CA Condor to the wild.

Mom always said there’d be days like this…she just never said there’d be so MANY of them!!!

John Kennedy’s assassination, even though I was VERY young when it happened. And Bobby Kennedy’s. And Martin Luther King’s.

First man on the moon, definitely, fall of the Berlin Wall, definitely. The first successful space shuttle, and the Challenger explosion. The end of the Cold War.

And even though I wasn’t alive then, I heard enough, growing up, about Pearl Harbor and Hiroshima that they are forever and indelibly etched in my mind.

The impeachment of a president. The first woman Supreme Court Justice.

-Melin

The McKinley assassination. You could have knocked me over with a feather.

– Uke, still smarting from all those “father figure” remarks from the Chicago Vomit Fest

The day John was assasinated
The day Jerry died
First man on moon
Challenger

A point in every direction is like no point at all

The day I got married. Oh sure, I’ve lived through some pretty significant events (I’m 37), but none of them had the emotional impact of that great day.

That, and the day they changed Darrens on “Bewitched.”

Call me a child of the 80’s

Black Monday
Reagan assassination attempt
Internet and Cable Television (DSS etc) proliferation
Affordability of the previous 2
Political apathy among my generation
My first 2 stand out simply because they are the events where I can distinctly recall where I was and how I felt, etc when I first heard about them.

1. Challenger explosion
  2. Start of the Gulf War

Well, shut my mouth. It’s also illegal to put squirrels down your pants for the purposes of gambling.

I was really irritated to realize that the huge events - the fall of the Berlin Wall, the end of the cold war, the Polytechnique massacre, the Tienanmen Square massacre - all happened in 1989, when I was 8, so they don’t work as defining moments.

The only one I can really think of right now that I could really say made an impression on me were the unity rally in Place du Canada and the APEC scandal.

The Assassinations (Kennedys, King, Lennon)

“Tranquility base here. The Eagle has landed.”

The liftoff of Columbia
The Challenger explosion

The Gulf War

But most importantly, my son’s birth.