menstual cycle and pregnancy (TMI)

Slighly embarassing to admit to not knowing at my age and education level (psychology not biology!) however, I know that women are most fertile 12 - 15 days before onset of menstruation and this is also ovulation time? and there is usually that jelly/snot like discharge at ovulation.
a. What is the jelly/snot like discharge?
b. If you get the discharge does this mean you are not pregnant?

a. What is the jelly/snot like discharge?

Cervical mucous. By the way, this is always present, but it changes color/consistency throughout the woman’s cycle.

(from here)

**b. If you get the discharge does this mean you are not pregnant? **

No - at ovulation it’s thinner - that makes it easier for the sperm to get to the egg.

The only thing that normally means you’re not pregnant is getting your period - but that said, some women can have period-like bleeding and still be pregnant, at least according to anecdotes.

Nobody has replied~~!~

I don’t recall having jelly/snot but… I know that when I get (oh heck) slicked up, the consistancy seems thicker. Let me try that again. My vaginal fluids seem thicker.

If you are concerned there is a bun in the oven, the eagle has landed, you are with child… TAKE A TEST. No reason to go by some jelly/snot method when they sell tests at the Walmart.

ugh…

I spent too much time trying to tip toe the jelly/snot issue before I hit SUBMIT. I coulda avoided my last post.

eww! girls are icky!

:slight_smile:

I am ovulating at the 9th day after period.
The “stuff” you refer to lasted about a week with me, during and after the 9th day.
I do not have it anymore as I am on the pill.

The consistency varies but I notice some all the time. I got a lot less of it on the pill.

I wouldn’t use the “stuff” to gauge whether you’re pregnant or not, though. If you’re worried, get a test. It’s quick and easy and fairly cheap.

If you really want to know about all this stuff, read Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler.
Cervical mucus will not tell you when you are pregnant (it doesn’t generally increase from pregnancy until well after you already know you are pregnant). It will tell you when to avoid unprotected sex or have it, depending on what outcome you want. If you want a baby, you fool around when it is “snotty”. The medical people call this “egg white mucus”, for the record. If you don’t want a baby, you don’t fool around when it is like that. Very watery and slick is also fertile mucus.
If you really want to know whether you are pregnant or not without taking tests, you have to take your basal body temperature and check your cervix regularly. It is all in the book.TCoYF

I was just about to suggest this book, too! I got this book about 4-5 years ago. I was shocked at how little I knew about my body (and I didn’t consider myself especially ignorant on the subject. but I was!). I think this book is good reading for any woman who’s not a nurse or ob/gyn. It’s an excellent resouce.

mmm…

a woman’s cycle lasts 28 days, the 1st day of the cycle being the 1st day of your period. An egg or ova takes about 14 days to get “ripe” in the ovary (1 month it’ll be your left ovary, the next it’ll be your right ovary and so on.), after which it “jumps” into the fallopian tube. This is what’s called ovulation. It its the only period when a woman is fertile (or should be the only period, anyway). The sperm fertilizes the ova in the fallopian tube, after which it descends into the womb. Sperm can survive up to 3 days in the womb/vagina, that is why most women think they’re fertile for up to 3 days. This is inaccurate. Most women are only fertile a few hours on the day of their ovulation (about 6 hours, thereabouts). As was m,entioned by someone else, the viscosity of vaginal discharge changes, getting thinner. The mucos would normally form a barrier at the cervix, to prevent foreign bodies from coming in. Around the ovulation, this barrier is not necessary, so it gets “discharged”.

No, it does not necessarily mean you’re not pregnant when you do not get that discharge. Always go for a test to make sure, and even those can be faulty :wink:

good luck

thank you all for your replies.
I will try to find a copy of the book.
I understand that the only way of telling is by test! (here they are bloody expensive) But I had these questions I wanted an answer to. Also, most people wait until their due period date is late before bothering to test - so how long after conception can you test with any assurance? (probably covered this at high school but I can’t remember - too long ago)
It is really amazing to me that I understand eggs jumping in the fallopian tubes, coming from alternate sides, most fertile time etc but still have these infomation blocks.
Men have it easy when trying to understand their own bodies! (up or down - in or out)
Also, it amazes me that the window of opportunity is so narrow and yet for a majority of people, preganancy is relatively easy to achieve.

A few mild qualifications here, if I may. The actual number of days varies from woman to woman, depending on her hormones and how nasty her body wants to be any given month. My periods used to be so regular, I was more correct than the Gregorian calendar. Many of my friends, however, were very irregular, and might not have periods of 2-3 months or longer. That didn’t mean they couldn’t conceive during that “off” time, but they didn’t have periods. A general rule is that ovaries alternate month to month, but some women produce from both ovaries in the same month. elfje is correct about determining a rough estimate of ovulation by the first day of the cycle (the first day of the period) rather than trying to figure it out by days before the next projected period. And ova (singular = ovum) don’t “jump” into the Fallopian tubes. They burst from the ovarian wall (causing obvious pain to some women, called “mittelschmertz”) like a squeezed zit, and the end fibers of the Fallopian tubes “sway,” causing a type of current to pull the ovum into the tube.

I have heard that the thinned mucous at the time of ovulation is called “mucin” and it is composed of thin thread which allow the sperm to swim into the uterus more easily. It doesn’t keep this consistency for long, however, and becomes more solid within several hours to a day or so after ovulation.

Mel, a blood test can tell you’re pregnant 7 days after conception.
you can get “early” pregnancy tests but they’ll only work the after the first day your period is due.
ie you don’t have to wait for it to be late, but you do have to wait 10-14 days if you want to take the test at home.

sorry, that’s “after the first day”.
and 10-14 days post ovulation.

since a significant proportion of conceptions don’t sucessfully implant, and a proportion of implantations are lost very early (before you realise you’re pregnant, possibly as an early/late crampy period) it’s probably not a good idea to test too soon.

I’m sure it depends on the sensitivity of the test. I test every two months, regardless of whether I have a period or not. I had a positive after 10 or 12 days (best guess) but it was a very weak positive.

If you are going to buy a test, buy one that has two tests inside. Believe me, for piece of mind, in case you are unsure you did it correctly, or you wish to retest a week later, (always a good idea if you’re period still hasn’t come) it’s nice to have another one handy.