Metallica: Through the Never 3D movie.

http://www.throughthenevermovie.com/

Anybody interested in this? I’m not even sure what this film is supposed to be. Is it a story? Or is it just them in concert? [shrugs] I don’t know.
Anyway, I haven’t listened to Metallica in years, but boy, were they an icon of my teenage years. I think I may have to check this movie out.
Anyone else feeling the nostalgia?

Not me. Metallica hasn’t been worth paying attention to for more than 25 years IMO.

A coworker of mine went to a preview of this. It’s pretty much just a concert movie.

I saw the extended trailer before Riddick. It looks like a concert movie with a little post-apocalyptic back story to fluff up the film between songs.

I saw an ad for it that aired when Metallica played on the Colbert Report. “Do you LIVE for Metallica!!! Then see their new movie…”

Really? Do people still do that? They were a landmark band up to the Black Album and deserve respect for that, but that was 20 years ago.

They played For Whom the Bell Tolls on Colbert - they did a nice job. And while I really respect Robert Trujillo’s bass playing and his work with Suicidal Tendencies, watching these guys “rock out” which includes Trujillo crouching down and crab-walking looks just a bit silly for an “elder-statesmen” metal band in a small-stage performance…

I want to see it. I’m sure the sound and 3D visuals will blow away anything you could replicate at home. I won’t watch it at home when it comes on Bluray or whatever.

It’s got a very nice RT rating right now. 81% good. Metallica: Through the Never - Rotten Tomatoes

Went to see it today in IMAX 3D. The story doesn’t have any dialog, so it’s basically an hour and a half Metallica concert. Some story scenes played while the music was going. Visually and sonically it’s outstanding. See it in IMAX if at all.

It did remind me just how many times I’ve heard these songs in the last 25+ years of listening to Metallica. I still enjoy them but I long ago memorized every note and riff and solo for pretty much every song they put out so the movie didn’t mezmerize me like I expected it to. It’s the same songs I’ve listened to forever, played the same way they have forever.

The stage was absolutely insane though. Would have loved to have seen it in real life.

Cool. How many of their songs were “And Justice For All” and earlier?

(or about how many, percentage wise.)

75% at least.

Saw the movie yesterday (No IMAX, only 3D). I’d give it about 3.5 out of 5.

The non-concert movie portions were interesting, but not very compelling. Reminded me a lot of a 90’s music video for NIN or Tool or something like that.

The music was great. There were only a few songs post Black Album (Fuel, Cyanide and Memory Remains I believe).

I’ve never been to a concert film before and it was kinda weird. Do I sit there and eat my popcorn and Junior Mints, or do I get up and jump around like I would at a real concert? Everyone else in the theater just sat there, so that was what I did. Though I did engage in plenty of headbanging. And my devil horns never went higher than my shoulders.

I’ve seen Metallica in concert 4 or 5 times and this looked like it would have kicked any of those concert’s ass. But the energy in the theater was all wrong and weird.

I would have loved to have seen the actual concert. There were huge stage props and the opening they did for One was insane, even in the theater. It would have been 100 times better if I were actually at the concert.

But it was basically the best seat in the house. It practically put you on stage with the band, up close and personal. Which made them look even more amazing.

Eh, I’ll just torrent the movie.

What’s the worst that could happen?

Don’t do that! With the government shutdown, the last thing we need congress doing is listening to Lars whine about illegal downloads again. :smiley: