Metric system in the US.... what happened?

Except for that part of Europe called the UK, where car speedometers and road signs are still in miles, even though petrol is purchased in liters.

That is a great example, and I’m sure there are many others that I can’t think of right now.

But there are also many sayings which get distorted beyond recognition when the meanings of the words have been forgotten. Take these for example:

“Wherefore art thou, Romeo?” – The meaning of “wherefore” as “why” has been forgotten. Juliet was asking “Romeo, why are you a Montague, from the family that my family hates?” (or something like that, English Lit was a very long time ago). But people think she meant “Romeo, where are you? I can’t find you!”

“The exception that proves the rule” – Anyone wanna guess how often this has been discussed right on these boards, by people who don’t realize that it means “the exception that tests the rule”?

Eh, no. Cobalt-60 is what you get when you bombard Cobalt-59 with neutrons, and it is a radioactive isotope with a half-life of five years.

(How do I know that? It’s the basis for the cobalt bomb’s fallout potential.)

You’re thinking of Cesium-133. 9,192,631,770 transitions between two ultrafine states of Cs-133 is equal to one second.

Cite

To nitpick my own post:

Better cite from the NIST itself.