Mexcian Salute?

This morning I was at a restaurant and they had a Mexico/Argentina football match on. I did not pay much attention to it.

During the opening festivities, they played the national anthems. The Mexicans sang along and put their right hand (Hand extended, fingers joined) across their chest in some sort of salute. I have never seen such a thing in all my born days. Does Mexico have a civilian salute? Since when?

My wife is from Mexico (Aguascalientes) and she will invariably stand and do the salute you describe whenever the Mexican national anthem is played. Even if it is only on TV. She learned to do it in school where it was mandatory and I suppose it is similar to Americans putting their hands over their hearts during the national anthem (only with palm pointed down).

There is a photo of Vicente Fox doing the Civil Salute on this page.

Thank you, something every day.

This is the first I’ve heard of a Mexican-Romulan connection… :eek:

From Wikipedia: This salute is known as the “El saludo civil a la Bandera Nacional” (“The Civil Salute to the National Flag”).

:confused: I am not sure why is that so strange in so far as a “civilian salute.” I think most Latin America countries, including the US, have a “civilian salute” to the national flag/anthem. E/a country may do it similar or different.

US Version

US Elementary School Kids giving the salute

German Soccer Fan Saluting

Perform the Salute!

(You hold your right arm straight out while using your left hand to massage the vocal-cords area of your neck while roaring, producing an ululating effect.)

Where do you live now? Just asking, since I have a Guanajuato-native wife m’self, and Aguascalientes has a lot more in common than, say, Sonora.

I always thought a Mexican Salute was the same thing as a “Bronx Cheer”.

You were wrong.

:confused: …where you get that idea?