MI GOP leaders meeting with Trump

Right, and let’s not forget that Trump probably has real lawyers and people familiar with political procedure at all points throughout the transition process at his disposal. Trump and Giuliani are clowns, but they are clowns who serve a purpose (their own anyway); there are people who can focus on the task at hand. They’ve been there all along. We’re fortunate that Trump is not good at coordinating teams, but they are relentless and whenever they fail to open one door, they’ll just keep trying to open others.

I withhold judgment until I see what happens. If I thought my family was about to get doxxed and threatened with execution, I’d damn well drink the Dom.

Then you would deserve everything bad that happened to you as a result, which would not be the case if you did what was right.

Eh? Seems to me that if these Michigan officials do what’s right and don’t help Trump, the chances of being doxxed and threatened goes up.

People who do the right thing don’t deserve bad consequences for it, IMO, but people who do the wrong thing earn bad consequences.

Sure, but at some point vigilance becomes emotional distress and then paranoia. Maybe I’m reading too much into comments here but I am worried about the emotional state of Dopers, and I mean that in the most caring way.

Trump is trying to steal the election but he has failed miserably, like everything else. He has lost every substantial court case, even those with conservative judges. Every single GOP state official in charge has shut down all talk about fraud or sending electors. Competent lawyers are ejecting themselves from the crazy train.

Yes, a few Republicans like Graham are pushing a narrative for Trump but as far as I can tell it’s had no effect. I wish more Republicans would publicly criticize Trump. But that’s not the same as letting him pull off a coup. A lot of Dopers are creating paths for Trump to seize the House that aren’t backed up by what’s actually happening. Trump is not going to steal this election. I think those who believe it to be realistic should step back and take a deep breath. Maybe take a break from the news for a bit.

Yes, yes, yes, yes. Exactly

Amash the lame duck from my district should be making some Fucking noise once and for all about his “colleagues in Congress”.

Your concern is noted.

And at some point, ice cream becomes diabetes.

I think you are.

Like everything else? Like the 2016 election that no one thought he would win?

And a substantial part of that is public pressure and observation. If we were not paying attention, that may have turned out very differently.

And I would not say that “every single” one has shut down. There are still enough in play to merit concern.

I think you are right, I hope you are right, but there are no guarantees

That’s the worst advice. For one, if it were to be followed, then they could get away with pulling this off as everyone turns off the news. Furthermore, telling someone to calm down is almost always the worst way to actually get them to calm down.

People are calm, they are just keeping an eye on things. Sometimes we game out scenarios to see where they will take things. We look for loose ends that may be exploited. We remain calm by inspecting the cracks and making sure that they are not being widened, not by ignoring the problem and hoping that it goes away.

I mean, I’m not calm. But it’s not like looking away from this trainwreck will make me any calmer.

You need to read up on the history of places where democracies have given way to illiberal democracy (and eventually authoritarianism). It doesn’t happen all at once - they are eventually undermined and weakened to the point where they eventually fail. In many cases - most, actually - authoritarians use democracy to destroy it.

All places where democracy fails have one thing in common: they disenfranchise a substantial portion of the population. There are large numbers of people who effectively have no representation in their government.

I check myself daily – is this just studied interest, morbid fascination, a truly ‘patriotic’ stance (trying to understand if the Constitution is slowly being immolated before our eyes) … or is it a destructive fixation that’s more reflective of whatever’s occupying my mind than of reality ?

I think it’s a worthwhile question for some/each of us to ask ourselves during this melodrama, but I’ll basically exhale and stay tuned in.

I’m not sure the answer will/should be the same for everybody – Dopers or otherwise.

In 2016, I told friends and family that the potential for destruction was at least as great in individuals (based on their responses and reactions to DJT’s election and presidency) than the likely collective, national or global destruction that CFSG could, himself, wreak.

The thing that keeps coming into my mind – and those who know the movie will get its context unhesitatingly – is:

DJT’s army is virtually bound to fail at this gambit. But they haven’t yet.

Sorry to bother, but what is CFSG?

People are not calm. They’re freaking out and positing ideas that have little basis in fact. Trump loses a case and a few Dopers react like this is good for Trump. This path leads to pizzagate and is unhealthy.

When Trump starts to win some of these appeals we can start to panic. Until then it’s rumor mongering. Trump is not stealing this election.

Yeah, I head crap like this when Trump first started his bizarre campaign. We know better now, but nice try.

Deeg, I think you need to re-read this quote from above.

Let me reiterate: if Trump starts to win his cases we can panic. If a GOP official in charge of certifying the vote starts the process of overturning the results we can panic. What’s happened instead is that all these attempts are unequivocally shot down. Trump is testing our democracy and democracy is winning. Handily.

I learned it here: Cheeto-faced shit-gibbon.

A bit more color commentary:

Sure, but let’s be realistic when we play out scenarios. The michigan pols publicly resisted Trump’s attempts to change the vote; let’s not assume it’s all part of an insidious plan to cheat the electoral process.