Michael Ruppert

What’s the deal with Michael Ruppert? Visionary or Wackadoo? There’s a new film out titled “Collapse” where he prophesizes about the end of the world due to peak oil. The review I caught this morning talks about his uncanny prediction of the financial crisis. What predications did he make and how uncanny were they? Inquiring minds want to know.

He’s a Truther. Do you really need to know anything else?

Well OK, so he’s a truther, it’s fair to say wackadoo. However, what piqued my interest this morning was this: “Back in 2006, he predicted the economic crisis in astonishingly accurate detail”.

What are they talking about? That’s what else I want to know.

There is something you need to remember when you think about things like this, I’m not disputing he stated something and his statements came true, but the reason you are reading about him is BECAUSE they came true.

Think about this.

There were a lot of others who made, different predictions back in 2006. But those predictions didn’t materialize so no one today is talking about them.

If you have 10,000 people talking about peak oil, the economy, etc, it’s likely one of them will come up with a fairly accurate short term prediction.

Peak oil itself is interesting to discuss and deserves it’s own thread.

We as people tend to remember what was right and forget what was wrong.

For instance, Hitler said the Sudetenland was this last territorial claim in Europe. Chamberlain believed him, Churchill did not.

If Hitler had lived up to his agreement and stopped, today we would be talking about how smart Chamberlain was and how Churchill almost brought the world to the brink of war.

It’s very easy to look at something in hindsight and make it fit today or to simply ignore those who were wrong.

Well thanks, you’ve been loads of help. I’m well aware that if you throw enough shit at a wall some of it is bound to stick. Nor did I ask why the van is always at the corner.

I have never heard of this guy before, however there is a film out, in actual theaters, about him that’s been reviewed by the New York Times. I caught Entertainment Weekly’s review on the morning news.

In the EW review they stated “Back in 2006, he predicted the economic crisis in astonishingly accurate detail”.

What I’m asking is, what were those specific predictions and just how “astonishingly accurate” were they.

His only recent published work, as far as I can tell, is Crossing the Rubicon: the decline of the American Empire at the end of the age of oil. I just skimmed through the available pages on Google Books. Really, the things I do for you people.

Nothing in it has anything to do with the economic crisis, other than accusations in Chapter 5 that Wall Street firms were actively or passively participating in money laundering, primarily by narcotraffickers.

In the introduction it briefly mentions that $10 trillion has been moved out of the US stock market “without your having been informed by an alert news media”. What business it is of yours if private investors are moving their money around I cannot figure out.

In short, it does not appear to predict either the causes or the results of the current economic crisis in any meaningful way, other than some whining about corruption on Wall Street.

It does suggest that the US economy is about to collapse and that the Euro will replace the US dollar as the global currency standard, but this claim appears to be based on Iranian plans to transship and trade other people’s oil for them by establishing a “bourse”. It hasn’t actually happened yet, as far as I can tell, and may never happen.