Middle Earth FA63 D&D Game. Fourth Adventure. Journey to Rivendell

Gwaelur is asleep, I suppose…but he is a light sleeper and easily woken. He will be ready to fight if the need arises so…wake me up if you have to.:cool:

I apologize for the confusion. My intention was to accomplish two things:

a) Make sure the necessary party members are awake. I mentioned Ghân because I thought having a Wose up and running would be useful, but you’re right that having him rest would probably be better.

b) Get Brownie in the air so we have someone in the air who’s faster and more perceptive than Miron.

Both seem to have been accomplished, so I guess that’s it. :slight_smile:

I would imagine that is what Elfstan and Renee are currently doing.

You take the lead, I will be 25 yards behind. I may not see the tracks, but I can certainly see you. :wink:

If there is a need to run back to the camp, I would like to know what it is we are facing first.

So Mulligan follows Miron. Miron stops frequently and finally hears footsteps again. He speeds up a little, Mulligan follows with ease.

When the stop to listen, both hear low talking, “The party is two big with 10 dwarves and a well set watch. There were humans, dwarves, at least one kid and large dogs.”

Another voice, “We’ll let this one pass then.”

The guards are waiting for word in the meantime. Brownie and the Canines are not assisting in the check of course as they have no reason to do so.

Hmmm. Maybe highwaymen or bandits of some kind? Can’t let them keep doing their thing to less-prepared parties.

Thoroncir grunts in his sleep, rubs his nose and turns over.

Elfstan is keeping track of time that Miron and Mulligan have been away. If they are gone more than 30 minutes, he will quietly wake up Gil-Gandel. Thoroncir and Gwaelur will be next unless Gil-Gandel objects. He will try not to wake Ghan and Doer as they need their sleep for their spells and Renee is already up.

Hmm, it doesn’t look like the bandits will stray that far from their present location, so I think it’d be best for both Mulligan and Miron to head back to camp and appraise everyone of the situation.

Sounds like a good idea.

I think the rest of the camp would like to know we are in bandit country. :wink:

So the pair returns to camp and I assume wakes everyone up?

Morning already? Ah. Apparently not. listens. Highwaymen? Well, we had better do something about them, for the next band of travellers may not be as capable as we. Let’s have the stealthy people for a start. I would like to scout the outlaws’ camp as thoroughly as possible and, if we can, find evidence of any misdeeds they have been up to so far.

Miron, Mulligan, Elfstan and myself for beginners - and if we can have Ghân close to hand to interpret for Brownie, so much the better. What is the ground like for bringing in reinforcements in a hurry? In the quiet of the night, our armoured warriors will be noticed all the sooner by an edgy enemy.

The ground is firm, but the Dwarves would not move quietly, not even Gwaelur. Thoroncir would have a better chance.

“Drat this dwarvish racket!” :smiley:

But we do know that Gwaelur can sprint surprisingly fast for a few minutes and be in fighting condition at the end of it. :slight_smile:

True! One of my prouder moments. Nearly killed me though. It might be best if I stayed behind and helped guard the camp against an ambush.

I have a spare axe and x-bow I am happy to lend out to anyone who is proficient in them. In case extra weapons are needed by those more stealthy than I.

Elfstan is ready to go, having already been up on watch.

To the party, “What are our rules of engagement? Do we have enough evidence to use deadly force against these bandits? Doer’s sleep spell may come in very handy once again.”

Since Gwaelur isn’t very stealthy, maybe he can coordinate with the dwarves so we have some more backup if needed?

So which part of the group heads back to the brigands?

The Dwarves prefer the idea of staying put to guard the mounts and goods.

“If they are truly bandits harboring ill intent,” Miron comments, glancing about the campsite as they make their plans, “I for one would have no qualms about killing them. However, we don’t understand everything about their situation. If it comes to combat I think we should try to subdue them without killing anyone, but if it comes to endangering our own lives or theirs, I don’t think using lethal force is entirely unreasonable.”

Gwaelur is staying with them to help with that guard duty. He will repeat his offer of his spare axe or x-bow to the party at large and any dwarves who are staying behind.

This {Miron’s comment} is why I want us to infiltrate, if possible, and acquire evidence of their ill-doings, before striking deadly blows. I believe Mulligan and I are the best choices, with Elfstan and Miron close by as immediate reinforcements, Thoroncir and our casters - also Anca and Fang - within a hundred yards or so.

If we are detected, I believe the sudden blowing of a trumpet in their midst, and the appearance of an Elf with flaming sword(s?) would startle them a little as well as serving as your cue to become involved. :slight_smile:

Ghân can ask Brownie to fly well overhead and report back to him.
Not full details, but perhaps how many two-legs there are…

DM, what are the lighting conditions? (moonlight, mist etc)

Thoroncir untangles himself from his blanket and rubs the sleep from his eyes. Once he hears about the situation, he agrees that a small contingent - or perhaps even a single invisible Hobbit or near-invisible Elf? - should scout out the suspected highwaymen’s camp before we move against them in force. The conversation Miron and Mulligan overheard is certainly suspicious, but not yet enough, he thinks, for those others to be attacked or slain.