midgets

So what’s the deal with midgets? Why are their arms and legs so chubby and bloated? Why wouldn’t al the limbs and other features of their bodies be in proportion to their size, like a child’s body? (OK, so a child’s bod isn’t perfectly proportionate either, but it’s a lot closer than a midget’s body.)

Oh boy, are you in for it! You are discribing dwarfs, not midgets, who are fully developed humans. Neather likes to be conused with th other.

The Teeming Millionth

Just when I think it is safe to go on-line again… Growing up in a circus environment I had a lot of experience with little people. To this day they can still give me the creeps. I realize this is my own prejudice. I have tried to combat it with learning but it hasn’t helped. Here is what I know…

First of all, there are three types of dwarfism:

1. Hypopituitary - results from insufficient production of pituitary growth hormone. This type of dwarf stops growing in early childhood but maintains normal body proportion (i.e. smaller, childlike genitalia). These types of dwarfs are usually referred to as midgets.

2, Cretinism - results from insufficient production of thyroid hormones. This type of dwarfism is marked by body distortion and mental retardation. I have never actually met a dwarf like this so… I should count my blessings.

1. Achondroplastic - is a hereditary, genetic trait. These dwarfs have normal trunks but stunted little arms and legs. These are the ones you were referring to…

Now I have to go get a shower as I am suddenly feeling very, very dirty…

PS Have a nice day.

Ducks: I LOVE your outlook on life :smiley: You had me rolling on the floor laughing, but I’m not 100% sure it was deliberate. If you were serious all the way, you’re one sick little puppy…

>>First of all, there are three types of dwarfism:

1. Hypopituitary - results from insufficient production of pituitary growth hormone. This type of dwarf stops growing in early childhood but maintains normal body proportion (i.e. smaller, childlike genitalia). These types of dwarfs are usually referred to as midgets.<<

Yes, but there are other kinds of proportional dwarfism where the genitalia (and reproductive abilities) are normal. Hypopituitarism can be treated with artificial growth hormones. BTW: this is often a side-effect of chemotherapy for childhood cancers.

>>2, Cretinism - results from insufficient production of thyroid hormones. This type of dwarfism is marked by body distortion and mental retardation.<<

They also used to be called pin-heads. No one has used “pin-head” or “cretinism” for years. People usually say “microcephaly with [or without] dwarfism.” Severe hypothyroidism can cause this, but so can a chromosome deletion, and congenital rubella.

>>3. Achondroplastic - is a hereditary, genetic trait. These dwarfs have normal trunks but stunted little arms and legs. These are the ones you were referring to…<<

Yes. The most common form is autosomal dominant. Babies who happen to get two genes for this trait don’t make it. There are a couple of rarer forms though, that are recessive. They all have different names, but the names escape me now.

Osteopaths, PT’s, and other professionals usually refer to all little people as either “proportionate” or “disproportionate.” Disproportional dwarves, aka achondroplasiacs, have a lot of attendant skeletal problems, like scoliosis, and bowed legs.

Proportional dwarves, aka midgets, usually don’t have skeletal problems, but sometimes have endrocrinal problems. Believe it or not, when there’s no obvious problem, such as Down Syndrome, or severe hypothyroidism, this condition is disgnosed with a ruler-- I think you have to be under 4’8, but I’m not sure.

BTW, ducks, you should get over this thing you have. People are people, whatever their height.

There’s an organization called “The Little People of America,” and they have, among other things, a yearly convention. I’ll bet they also have a website.

–Rowan
Shopping is still cheaper than therapy. --my Aunt Franny

All right-- my cousin Cassie, who reminds me that her specialty is called “orthopedics,” not “osteopathy,” gave me this address: http://www.turtlethought.com/lpa/dwarftypes.html.

This’ll get you to the Little People of America’s own website listing of different types of dwarfism. Which is incidentally the correct term (thanks again, Cassie), not dwarvism. All right, already.

–Rowan
Shopping is still cheaper than therapy. --my Aunt Franny