Mild pitting - writing an essay every time you do something.

Have you guys noticed that it seems to be necessary to write an essay, or complete a (sometimes long) survey almost everytime you buy or otherwise interact with a commercial operation?

I’m now of the age that rather frequent doctor visits (usually at the local hospital) are common. Each time they want a report on “how they did”. Dammit, if the injection didn’t make me faint, I’m happy. Take the car into a garage - write an essay on their perceived performance. Buy something on Amazon - same thing.

I’m getting real tired of this nonsense.

I’ve certainly been asked for feedback or to “complete a short survey,” but never has any company ever forced me to do so in order to partake of their services/wares.

You know you don’t have to do it, right?

How about including a long poll to get some solid data on whether the majority agree that it’s annoying?

Should have added that I generally (unless really peeved) don’t bother to respond to these requests.

During our trip we stayed in about a dozen hotels in a chain. I found that the good ones asked for feedback, the not so good ones did not.

Particularly annoying - Amazon and its vendors ask how I like a product. Which is fine except when it is a present I have shipped to my daughter’s to be opened at Christmas. How the hell do I know how it is? It’s not like shipping presents to others is so rare this time of year.

Then you’ve got a very different definition of the word “necessary” than the rest of us.

tldw

Not necessarily. I think “seems to be necessary” is a colloquial way of saying that vendors/providers seem to expect that it’s reasonable for you to do it.

(ETA: at least it is in my British dialect. Maybe not in the U.S.?)

It seems like every website I visit has a pop-up screen that wants me to add my email address to their mailing list. These pop-ups are really annoying. I sometimes try to ignore them and refresh the page to get rid of them. Some you have to explicitly click on, “No, thanks” and for the particularly annoying ones, I provide a fake email address.

It was the best of tires, it was the worst of tires…

YOU my friend, are responsible for the mess my keyboard is in right now. I had a nearly full mouthful of Coke when I read your post and could not contain myself. :smiley:

This was good…

but this deserves recognition as well.

And all of the surveys are terribly written, and analyzed in ways that are useless to actually improving anything. I am sure that they collapse the responses on each question into “Excellent, 5/5” and “Fail, 1-4/5”, even though they give five levels of response. So somebody gives the cleaning crew a 4 instead of a 5, and instead of thinking that’s still great, the crew doesn’t get their “all 5s” bonus for the week, or whatever.

Some places insist on sending me surveys over and over again until I answer. Usually on the second or third round of this I go ahead and fill out the survey randomly. Not just clicking on what I think is random, but opening R and generating an appropriate random number for each response. Sometimes work is slow.

Most of my app store reviews are “1 star, just doing this so the app will stop bugging me to write one.”

The flip side of this, is I create surveys several times per year to get feedback from students and colleagues. We consider every comment, and are far more interested in the difference between a 4 and a 2 than between a 4 and a 5. Of course we’re all academics who’ve been doing questionnaire and survey based research for decades.

For a particular short course I’m involved with, the summary of results every year is, “figure out a way to cover more topics, in greater depth, in less time, and at exactly the right speed and level for each participant,” and one this year that wanted an espresso bar during the breaks.

Great Expectorations?

Not sure why people are giving the OP a hard time. I hate this as well. Every time I talk with the bank, credit card company, take my car for service, buy something online, etc. I get a survey email. It wouldn’t be that bad if it was just a matter of deleting the email, but they keep on sending reminders. oddly, one of the options is not “does getting these surveys and reminders piss you off and make you less likely to use our product/service”.

No, A Tale of Two Spitties.

I can’t stand the inconvenience of running out of space when I submit my comments on these always-way-too-short forms, regardless of what service it is, and so I after I’ve filled one up, back home I’ll continue with my review in triplicate on fine 20-bond vellum for various filing purposes.
Thank-you.

I long ago decided, though it makes me slightly nervous, that I can’t submit complaints about a given good or service unless I can commit to both the effort and the time to write up my critique in correctly scanning rhyme. I don’t know if a company has ever really noticed, and the chance that they will care is doubtless only the remotest, but it has the great advantage that I tend to let it go unless I’m REALLY mad as hell and need to let them know.

Point made; well-played.

Even the most thoughtfully constructed customer surveys ultimately come off like a clingy ex asking why you left, and then not accepting the answer and asking again.

If you don’t give them a 5, then they ask what they could have done better. (I dunno, carried me to my car?)

The worst if you do have a legitimate complaint, they want to have someone contact you. If you go down that road, you get another survey on their interactions. GAAA!

The unfortunate aspect is that often some sort of employee incentive is tied directly to what ratings we provide. This doesn’t take into account that different individuals have different strategies for identifying excellence, vs those who think in a more binary way - did the product work as described yes/no?