Military Stadiums

Bill Clinton was not in the military.

Einstein?

Nah the guy from Triumph of the Will who drove all the ladies wild with his speeches and funny little mustache

And men.

Let the NFL buy the land and pay to have their own stadiums erected on their land. Leave Uncle Sugar out of it.

Just a thought, if you decide to take all the money spent on the JSF thus far and use it to build stadia how many bases could you fill with 100,000 seater stadiums until the money ran out?

Why would we defund JSF? Take the money out of obamacare and entitlements and special interests and use it to build stadiums. I guarantee you could do a 50/50 arrangement and make the NFL pay 50% and then Uncle Sam do the other 50% and if they refuse you just seize NFL assets to cover the cost because Football is the new American pastime and should be protected.

One stadium, the lavishness/wastefulness of which will increase to match the available funds.

I wish MLB would stop with the batshit military and patriotic crap that’s been going on since 9/11.

God Bless America, soldier of the day, constant military tributes on all summer holidays, the all star game, and all playoff games. Enough is enough.

No you can’t. They don’t even hold the Army-Navy game at any military facility. Know why? Because the money to be made is made out in the real world, and the rate of violent incidents associated with professional (and collegiate) sports is vanishingly small. The costs associated with what you’re proposing are ludicrously expensive.

This is the most pointless idea I’ve heard today, but it’s only 8:30 in the morning.

The Army and Navy game only involves two service academies, their students, parents and alumni which is why it is so small. I don’t see how it would be expensive if you pass on the cost to Uncle Sam and the NFL.

Remind us again, what problem are you trying to solve?

The OP seems to think that we can reduce violence in professional sports by putting the people who fight wars in charge of them.

Let me add my voice to the “letting civilians onto the base to get into the stadium is a serious security concern” crowd.

I worked on a military base for 16 years, and still access one on occasion, and not only do you have to jump through some serious hoops, including having two forms of government-issued photo ID (you do have a passport, right?), to be given a pass to enter the base, but you had to jump through more hoops to authorize your car to enter as well.

My first thought was, why not put the stadium on the “edge” of the base, with an off-base entrance - but then, I realized that it would still be far too easy for somebody not authorized to be on the base to get into the stadium, hide somewhere, and then sneak onto the base itself.

“So help me God, if I see any violence here I’ll kill you!”

Like fucking for chastity.

ETA: Of course, there is a widely-known military euphemism: “pacification”. Generally involves making civilians peaceful by making them dead, or too afraid to do anything.

I’m aware of that. But now no one is:
http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2015-04-28/nfl-will-end-its-tax-exempt-status-goodell-tells-team-owners

It be way better to have the NFL play its games in prisons. All the spectators can be shackled so they don’t make any problems, and a few members of each team are probably going to jail anyway, so they could just stay behind.

I don’t know what problem the OP is tying to solve, but I’ll tell you this; if they decide professional sports has to be played behind military-level security, that will be the end of my interest in attending professional sporting events, millions of fans will see it the same way I do, and that’s the end of the entire business as it currently exists.

The movement in professional sporting venues over the last thirty years has been, for the most part, making the facilities MORE accessible. While there are some exceptions (the 49ers’ new stadium being a unique case) teams have largely been making an effort to make stadia more centrally located and close to mass transit.

One the examples of violence in professional sports he gave was a Green Bay fan jumped by 3 Seattle fans outside of a bar. I’m not sure he’s got a firm grasp of the problem, let alone a solution.