"Mind the gap" offensive?

This discussion started in another thread. To fully discuss it without it turning into a hijack, I’ve started a new thread.

“Mind the gap” is a warning given on the London Underground railway system. On certain stations there is a slight gap between the platform and train. The words are painted onto the platform, and spoken over the tannoy.

The conversation so far.

So, speculate away. What did the person find so offensive? Obviously there was some kind of misunderstanding, but what did she think?

Best guess is she thought red hat = Trump support.
If correct, that’s not a good thing to do. As much as I deplore Trump and his supporters, they have the right to wear hats in public expressing their opinions.

She thought it was a vagina reference.

Copying over my guess (which apparently came just after you made this thread.)

I’ve been to London so I know what it really means, but my first dirty thought would be it referred to cleavage, which the hat says mind, as in pay attention to.
“When correctly viewed, anything is lewd.” - Tom Lehrer.

I’m sure I’ve seen ‘mind the gap’ explicitly referring to thigh gaps, in which case it might not be the directly sexual allusion that’s taken offense to, but the (imagined) perpetration of an unhealthy and objectifying standard for women’s bodies (‘thigh gap’ as a shorthand for extreme slimness).

But yeah, some people just work hard at finding something to be offended by.

It is used like that on Urban Dictionary, but people there very often just Make Shit Up.

I have urges in my areas.

I’ve never heard the phrase used in relation to women. However, having travelled on the London Tube, the Toronto subway, and the Perth, Australia, transit trains (not really subways, as they mostly travel above ground, but they’re the same idea), I can attest that “Mind the Gap” pretty much only refers to a warning to be mindful of the empty space between the platform and the train when boarding and disembarking. At least, that’s all it means to me. At any rate, it’s an inoffensive phrase.

I’ve heard/read the phrase for a long time being used in a context that I’m sure has nothing to do with London. I live in the US and have never spent much time anywhere with public transportation in general, let alone something that specific. I guess I’ve never cared to investigate but I assumed it had something to do with a double entendre of some sort and/or meme culture. There are a lot of slang terms from various internet forums, tiktok (though this definitely predates all modern forms of social media), whatever. Usually, my first thought is something IS a sexual reference because, well that’s just how people are (Even around 99% of people I know irl can’t wait to be the first to respond “That’s what she said” to anything that could remotely be taken in a sexual way).

My thought as well. She was totally off base, and unaware of common things in other countries, but that doesn’t exactly make her unique.

Same here. If she thought it was a MAGA hat, she would have clearly seen it wasn’t as she got closer*. Plus, it would be exhausting if she had to ‘speak to the manager’ every time she saw someone wearing a red hat.

I’m thinking that she either assumed it was some type of euphemism or she misread ‘gap’ as ‘gash’ (ie ‘she’s just a gash in a sundress’)

One can only hope she proudly told her friends about the time she got some guy kicked out of a show for wearing a “Mind the Gap” hat and that they promptly laughed and corrected her. Also, I’d assume at some point she’d run across the reference somewhere else and realize the folly of her ways. But, if she hasn’t yet, she probably won’t.

*OTOH, If she did think it was a MAGA hat, good for her, I guess.

People absolutely have the right to wear a MAGA hat all they want, but to be fair, that same right allows other people to tell them it’s offensive.

Add me to team "huh? "

I looked at the picture. The writing on the cap is kinda small. Maybe the woman wasn’t close enough to read it properly and thought it said “mind the gay”, or something else. Ball caps are the dominant form of public discourse these days; maybe she assumed it would be something political.

Or maybe she was just upset that you were wearing a hat indoors, you savage.

I once made reference to a pansy on this forum. As in a flower, which is exactly what a pansy is. For context, I was describing colorful attire.
A subsequent poster somehow read it as a sleight toward Gays. If it was, it was it was a sleight I was certainly unaware of.
A moderator, who apparently is unschooled in the science of botany, sided with the poster. I was unfairly chastised.
There are those that will distort anything to suit their own intent.

Maybe she was dyslexic.

Damn het pig
Meth and pig
Pang the dim
Dig tan hemp
Dang the imp
Mat peg hind
Gimped hant
Hang ted imp
Get damn hip
Dang pet him
Amped thing
Temp gandhi
Had pigment

The fact her objection was couched in terms of there being children present pretty well proves she thought it was a sexual innuendo. MAGAism is equally (more?) child-unfriendly, but 'Murricans be prudes first and foremost, thinkers only much later if at all.

The fact she (or other parents) had children at a music venue @kayaker would attend pretty well says they are lousy parents who deserve a telling off irrespective of their headgear.

I’ll also second the notion that for a pure USAian with zero interest in anything beyond their local county, “Mind the Gap” is bafflingly meaningless and unfamiliar. It can’t possibly have a sensible ordinary meaning. Especially not if it’s displayed on a hat.

[aside]
“Keep calm and carry on”, plus all the recent jokey variations is another UK-and related-countries meme completely unknown to insular USAians. I’ve traveled to such countries a bunch, including 50 years ago as a teen. I’d never heard of “Keep calm and carry on” until it hit the internet a few years ago. The fact it’s usually shown with the crown makes it obviously British and the rest follows easily enough if you’re paying attention.

It was certainly a real thing during WWII and had evidently fallen into disuse from 1945-ish until it was humorously / irreverently revived in 2015-ish. I’m sure there are plenty of USAians now who recognize “Keep calm and [whatever] on” as meme fodder, but have no idea of the origin story.
[/aside]

The venue was a marina that had a pizza truck and a Dancing Gnome beer pop-up, so any kids there were with parents buying pizza to go.

Hehe. We were outdoors at a marina. I generally remove my hat and sunglasses upon entering a building.

Thanks for the additional details.

I was mostly making a joking reference to a post of yours a few months ago telling a story where you were indeed at a drinkin’ hollerin’ grown-up kinda event and some idjit had the temerity to object to your “colorful” language because their children were present and might be harmed.

To which you, quite rightly IMO, lit into her(?) and her(?) incompetence / active negligence as a parent.

I had guessed this event bore a passing resemblance to that one.

Ahhh, yes, been there. The only reason I was totally silent following the Mind The Gap lady was because I was perplexed and had smoked some fine green.

You’ve never heard “pansy” to refer to a gay person? It’s a bit old-fashioned by now, but that’s the first thing that comes to mind for me before the flower (which I know exists, as well.)

Anyway, to me “gap” in the OP must’ve meant something (pseudo)sexual to the woman. Either thigh gap, vagina, or possibly cleavage. Doesn’t really matter which in terms of the reaction.