Misogynist lyrics/songs from the pre-hip-hop era

Shelley Fabares - Johnny Get Angry (also by Hal David)

Oh, Johnny get angry, Johnny get mad
Give me the biggest lecture I ever had
I want a brave man, I want a cave man
Johnny, show me that you care, really care for me

Ahhh…Gary Puckett. Any truth to the rumor he is John Mark Karr’s favorite singer :slight_smile:

My contribution is a Todd Rundgren song, We gotta get you a woman, which contains the wonderful line, “She may be stupid, but she sure is fun”. I wonder if he’s ever publicly apologized for the meanspiritedness of this song.

All right. Let’s say you’re a guy. The woman you love sings to you, “When you give me that pretty little pout it turns me inside out – because I love you.” Does this warm the cockles of your heart?

I mean, I can picture a girly-girl type going all warm and liquid at this sentiment. That’s why it’s sexist. I didn’t mean to imply that it was bad. I did mean to imply that I didn’t think much of it, even back when I was young and tender and not such a cranky grouch.

As opposed to an equal opportunity love song. Maybe I’ll think of one in a minute.

I’m pretty sure that song was written for Taylor’s daughter…when she was, like, three.

Uh, I don’t know if you’re remembering incorrectly, or if it was a strange misattribution, but I’m pretty sure Robert Johnson (at least not the one I’m thinking of…y’know, “The King of the Delta Blues”) never recorded a song by that name.

I know I’ve heard “doodlewang” before, but ah doo nah theenk eet meens hwatchoo theenk eet meens.

Seems a reasonable hypothesis, for the sake of argument, but I reserve the right to object at any time.

Sure. Means I don’t have to buy her anything to get that effect. Cool. She likes me 'cause I’m cute. I’d put my fingers in a strand of hair and twirl it, too, if that would help. The vacant look on my face … it’s all natural!

Well, I perceived it more as an expression of tender romantic feelings or extreme affection rather than a description of how a woman should behave. It’s more like two young lovers goofing around in the throes of young love than anything you need to take seriously.

Hey, nobody ever said you were cranky.

… doesn’t quite scan right, but I think I’m on the right track …

When you give me that knowing look
I feel increased solidarity
Because I respect you
As an equal in the march to glorious sexual egalitarianism and increased understanding with oppressed peoples of all the world
Yes I do!

<snerk>

<chortle>

BWAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

:smiley:

Never too young to start objectifying them . . .

Songs don’ come more mysogynistic than the Fabulous Thunderbirds’ “How Do You Spell Love ( M-O-N-E-Y)”, a rant about how women are nothing but greedy whores and leeches who just use men for meal tickets.

Wang Dang Sweet Poontang…

I was a teenager in the 1950’s, but this romantic lyric from the 1930’s (I think) was what I was taught that all men wanted in a woman:

(Excerpts)

“The girl that I marry will have to be as soft and as pink as a nursury.
The girl I call my own will wear satin and laces and smell of cologne.
Her nails will be polished and in her hair she’ll wear a gardenia…A doll I can carry, the girl that I marry must be.”

It’s so sexist --which is admittedly different from what the OP asked for.)

The sond Der Trihs is thinking about is “He Hit Me (And It Felt Like a Kiss)” by the Crystals. Bizarrely enough, it was co-written by Carole King.

The first thing that came to my mind when opening this thread was AC/DC’s “The Jack.” Honorable mention to “Dirty Deeds” (“Gotta lady and you want her gone . . .”) and Soul Stripper:

I always thought that Getting Better All the Time was intended as sarcasm–snark in spades.
I thought the guy “doing the best that I can” wasn’t really trying.

Re Mary Chapin Carpenter–love that song. It’s a savage look at the death of dreams and also a pointed commentary on role expectations. All this from a pop song.

Who sang the one about “really love your peaches, wanna shake your tree?”

Ugh–sexist, but not misogynistic.
I never thought James Taylor was singing to his 3 year old. The rest of the song really doesn’t fit with her as the focus, no? I never liked that “pretty lil pout” line either. I liked the PC version posted here, though… :wink:

That’s from Annie Get Your Gun --beautiful melody. Needs a change in lyrics.
How about songs from Grease? Perhaps not so much openly misogynistic as celebratory of the thuggish behavior for guys (a real pussy wagon etc).

I can’t imagine where he gets that sexism from:

Are you talking about The Clovers? Probably Steve Miller.

I don’t think it’s sexist or misogynist to express physical attraction to a woman. For instance, I’m pleased that my husband likes my peaches and I don’t assume that if he says so, it means he thinks I’m stupid or his property or anything like that. I wouldn’t assume it unless he actually said it, and then I’d laugh and tell him to get back to washing the dishes.