Misogynist lyrics/songs from the pre-hip-hop era

I’m pretty sure John wrote it. Either way, I don’t think it’s really misogynistic. He’s saying his poor treatment of women was a bad thing, but now is improving. And that’s another reason that things are getting better.

*I want to be Bobby’s girl
I want to be Bobby’s girl
That’s the most important thing to me…

And if I was Bobby’s girl
If I was Bobby’s girl
What a faithful, thankful girl I’d be*

“Bobby’s Girl” - Marci Blaine

<shudder>

How about ‘Bobby’s Girl’?

"When people ask of me,
What would you like to be
Now that you’re not a kid anymore.
[…]

I want to be Bobby’s girl,
That’s the most important thing to me.

And if I was Bobby’s girl,
If I was Bobby’s girl,
What a faithful thankful girl I’d be."

Actually, Getting Better was primarily a McCartney composition (that is, he brought it in initially), with contributions from John (It can’t get no worse came from him). Paul mentions it on the Anthology, I believe. And I agree that it’s not misogynsitic, I was just providing the info to Eleanor.

I mean there are songs other than “bitch done me wrong” songs. I wish I could remember examples, but there were a few “love” songs that had me scratching my head…

Good call on “Wild World”- more insulting and patronizing than misogynistic- “if you gotta leave, take good care, I hope find a lot of nice things to wear”?? WTF?? :rolleyes:

I am going to jump in here to defend Mick & Co., at least for “Under My Thumb.” This is a song that celebrates the capitulation and conquest of an individual who initially snubbed him. It is not sexist in my book because it can be turned around. A female singer could easily switch the pronouns and the song would still work, and I’ve heard a singer do that. It could also work for a gay relationship, with appropriate pronoun. Therefore it is not inherently sexist, because people of either sex can empathize with the sentiment.

James Taylor’s “Whenever I see Your Smiling Face,” on the other hand—ugh. “When you give me that pretty little pout it turns me inside out…” AEEEEEIII! That one is sexist. (But NOT misogynist.)

You also have to make allowances for these somebody-done-somebody-wrong songs. There are still a few inherently misogynist songs out there.

[QUOTE=The Mighty Loa]
Actually, Getting Better was primarily a McCartney composition (that is, he brought it in initially), with contributions from John (It can’t get no worse came from him). Paul mentions it on the Anthology, I believe. And I agree that it’s not misogynsitic, I was just providing the info to Eleanor.

[QUOTE]

Nitpick: The line is “It can’t get **much ** worse”

Actually no one does a better “bitch done me wrong” song than Bob Dylan.

“A woman’s a two-face, a worrisome thing who’ll leave you to sing the blues in the night…”

What about “I Used to Love Her,” by Guns 'n Roses? They say it’s a joke song, but Axl Rose was known for knocking his girlfriends around, which makes it even creepier.

I’ve always hated “You Talk too Much,” but I just read the lyrics and there’s nothing in them that implies that the too-much talker is female.

And let’s not forget this gem…

If you wanna be happy for the rest of your life
Never make a pretty woman your wife
So for my personal point of view
Get an ugly girl to marry you

A pretty woman makes her husband look small
And very often causes his downfall
As soon as he married her and then she starts
To do the things that will break his heart

But if you make an ugly woman your wife
A-you’ll be happy for the rest of your life
An ug-a-ly woman cooks meals on time
And she’ll always give you peace of mind

Hmmmm. Now I can’t decide if that’s misogynist or just sexist.

What’s “pre-hip-hop” about G’nR?

Isn’t it rather obviously both? The subtext, clearly, is that a pretty woman will fuck around because she can. An ugly one won’t because she can’t. Therefore, if able, women will destroy you. If not, they make great servants.

You’ll have to spell this one out for me. The lyrics you cite are about how much James Taylor likes a woman. How is that sexist?

I think the Allman Brothers’ “Every Hungry Woman” has a strong aspect of sexism to it:
Yeah — Sad eyed woman
boogie 'til the break of dawn
Yeah — Long a-bout the break of day — Yeah
oh— your man has up and gone—

You got 13 lovely children
No proud father knocking at your door
Yeah— but every hungry woman
has been in your place before

Yeah — the doctor keep [or “kept”] calling
woah – found you’d fall-en
[alternate lyrics: found you bawlin’]
Yeah – you backed him in the corner
oh — you’re doing what you wanna

You got 14 lovely children
No proud father knocking at your door
Yeah— but every hungry woman
has been in your place before

Seems to be mocking the woman for getting pregnant so much. The absent fathers, presumably one of whom is the vocalist, are not held to account in any way. Really piggish, when you think about it.

To be fair, Izzy Stradlin wrote that song and he claimed that it was about a dog he’d once put down (I don’t know if I buy that but I don’t recall Izzy ever having the same kind of issues with women that Axl has had).

Country music is full of sexism and misogyny. From “Attitude Adjustment” by Hank Williams Jr:

“Now my girl friend slapped me in the face
And I said “Darling, that was your first mistake”.
And then she went wild and her eyes turned red.
She started breaking everything and screaming loud
And kicking me and cussing me out
And I gave her a little adjustment on the top of her head.
It was an attitude adjustment, Ah she loves on me all the time.
Just an attitude adjustment, She’s got a whole new frame of mind.
She don’t nag and I don’t beg, We get along and like I said,
Just an attitude adjustment Ah, everything’s just fine.”
Mary Chapin Carpenter’s song, “He Thinks He’ll Keep Her” is one that really grates on me with the way it reinforces so many stupid, sexist attitudes (not mention a really horrendous expression). I think it bothers me more when women sing demeaning songs about women than men. For another example of that, see Shelly Fabares’ “Johnny Get Angry” (which was also featured in Dave Barry’s book).

“Oh, Johnny get angry, Johnny get mad
Give me the biggest lecture I ever had
I want a brave man, I want a cave man
Johnny, show me that you care, really care for me”

I’m glad I wasn’t around in the 50’s.

Diogenes - I think you totally misunderstood Ms. Carpenter’s song. Yes, that phrase is stupid - that’s why she’s mocking it in the song. Here is an excerpt of the lyrics:
“…She packs his suitcase, she sits and waits
With no expression upon her face
When she was thirty-six she met him at their door
She said I’m sorry, I don’t love you anymore
Everything runs right on time, years of practice and design
Spit and polish till it shines. He thinks he’ll keep her
Everything is so benign, safest place you’ll ever find
God forbid you change your mind. He thinks he’ll keep her
For fifteen years she had a job and not one raise in pay
Now she’s in the typing pool at minimum wage…”
Now, I do agree with you that a woman singing a misogynistic song is truly awful - like Vikki Carr’s “It must be him”

Good call. I agree with you.

Interesting. I guess I never listened to the lyrics all the way through. I just heard the stuff about how she cooks and cleans and cranks out kids. I thought it was a smarmy ode to being a traditional housewife with a smarmy sexist expression for a chorus. The irony was completely lost on me. Color me whooshed (or just inattentive…that was a “change the station quick” song for me).

Isn’t there some really creepy stuff from Gary Puckett and the Union Gap?

“…behind the charms of a woman, you hid the secret of your youth…”

Not quite misogynistic, but creepy.

Frank Zappa’s “Bamboozled By Love”