Mistranslate a film title

Oh duh.

In the style of AskNott, these are re-translated English:

Do not Horses Fly Out of Cannons?

Journey of a Star Part VI: Death

The Inedible Part of the Apple

The Elderly Cannot Listen to Western Music
And these are mistranslated from other languages:

A Blithering Movie (Portuguese) [derived using a word-for-word dictionary entries]

Bill’s TR6 Trophy (German)

Nothing New in the First World (German)

A Long Battle on a Sunday (French)

Angry Speed Lover (Spanish) [ probably the book is more well-known than the movie ]

CROUCHING TIGER HIDDEN DRAGON = The Big Cat with the Squatting Tail and the Fiery Beast who is Afraid to Come Out into the Open.

SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE could in some countries be 'the shack pet with a lot of money"

Y Tu Mama Tambien–> Yo Mama’s Strung Out on Sleeping Pills

As far as I can tell, there is no real difference.

Gump Woods

Robin Williams and Matt Damon star in Searching for Discount Clothes

So far I’m with you.

Er, can I get some help with these?

No Country for Old Men

Ouch!

Here’s the original titles:

A Blithering Movie - Um Filme Falado

Bill’s TR6 Trophy (I think I like this better as “Bill’s Motorcycle”) - Triumph des Willens

Nothing New in the First World - Im Westen Nichts Neues

A Long Battle on a Sunday - Un Long Dimanche de Fiançailles

Angry Speed Lover (this was really horrible translation) - El Amor en Los Tiempos del Cólera

Dumb and Dumber?

Blood Diamond :slight_smile:

Any Given Sunday?

The Fast and the Furious?

In case anyone was about to be whooshed, Um Filme Falado is the official French translation of A Talking Picture, Im Westen nichts Neues is the official German translation of All Quiet on the Western Front, Un Long Dimanche de Fiançailles is the official French translation of A Very Long Engagement and El Amor en Los Tiempos del Cólera is the official Spanish translation of Love in the Time of Cholera (or vice versa on the last two since they’re a Belgian movie and a Colombian novel, respectively).

You could also add the second one to your note, since the movie was an adaptation of Erich Maria Remarque’s novel Im Westen nichts Neues, of which the (free) English translation should by now be obvious.

Confusion sometimes happens in translitteration. For example we had ロード・オブ・ザ・リング (Lord of the Rings) which to many people could also read as Road of the Ring, which I think is a better title anyway.

I cheated and used Babelfish for these (English to Japanese and back), but they were too much fun not to post:

The serpent and saintly cup of Monty

The fear image show where the rock is many

God must be insanity
And one from English to Dutch and back:

The ceramicist of Harry and the chamber of mysteries