Mitt Romney's Speech

Maddowblog points out that a good chunk of the charges Romney leveled at Trump, he was just as guilty.

It would be funny if he had called Rubio a robot…

Just for the record, Trump did not, at any time, refer to Rubio as a “pencil necked bug fucker”. Really, I don’t know how these rumors get started…

(post shortened)

CNN has been very busy trying to play political king-maker. They trumpet Romney’s speech all day long and select “guests” who agree with the CNN position that Trump-is-bad.

Romney’s speech may be important to the political king-makers at CNN and/or a few of the GOP’s moneyed influence peddlers but it doesn’t seem to have much effect on the voters.

After asking the candidates to sign a pledge to support the Republican nominee, the Romney-types are saying that party loyalty doesn’t apply to Romney-types. So who cares what the Romney-types say? They don’t have the votes to make their dreams come true.

The Romney-types make the Democrat collective happy but they don’t seem to hurt Trump’s support.

Bullshit. I’ve seen plenty of Trump supporters on CNN.

Besides, I thought CNN was a darling of the liberal Left.

Did all the other news channels downplay the speech?

Or maybe the Democrat supporters are happy but it doesn’t hurt the Trump collective? Have you thought about it that way?

I have to disagree with Carson on this point. Firstly, its questionable whether Trump supporters are truly representative of the Republican base. Remember, he is only getting a plurality, not a majority, of the total vote. And a lot of is supporters seem to be independents and registered republicans who haven’t previously participated in primary elections and even some Democrats. But more importantly, courting Trump supporters means embracing rhetoric which would be toxic to the moderate voters they know they need to court in order to win elections.

Trump may have “won” the primaries in the sense of getting a plurality of the vote, but it tops off at about 35-40%. The only state he has come close to a majority is Massachusetts, which is a heavily democratic state with an open primary so that might be explained by the crossover vote. And, as of right now, his lead in delegates over Cruz is actually not that much (roughly 220-240 as I recall.) So their strategy is simply to deny him a majority of delegates and hope a they can settle on an acceptable alternative in a brokered convention. And while it goes against the conventional wisdom of electoral politics I think it just might work because Trumps campaign has already exploded all of the conventional wisdom. What it requires is for Republican voters to be disciplined enough to cast their vote for what ever Trump alternative is strongest in their particular state, especially in those states which have winner-take-all primaries. That might be a tough sell, but I don’t think it is completely out of the realm of possibility because I sense that there is desperation not just among the party establishment, but among a lot of rank and file Republicans who are appalled by the prospect of Trump winning the nomination.

IIRC, Romney only really started getting majority wins after Santorum dropped out in 2012. If Cruz gets creamed this coming week and decides to drop out we could see Trump starting to pick up majority wins as well.

You tell me. CNN was on all day. Of the thousands of new worthy stories that CNN could have reported on, they chose to trumpet Romney’s speech because …???

I’ve noticed that it no longer matters what Democrat supporters say. They seem to spend much of their time telling each other what conservatives and Republicans should be thinking. :we need a yawn smiley:

Fox news was on all day too. They are called “24hr news channels” for that very reason. Fox news also seems to spend a lot of time telling each other what conservatives should think.

It got big coverage because it’s a huge f****** deal. Did you read the story about presidential historians that I posted? They are agog that this happened and cannot think of any precedent in modern times. It would be journalistic malpractice to downplay this.

I was watching CNN over the lunch hour. They had a shot of the Trump podium, with the Trump name, and the Trump slogan “Make America Great Again!”, and a banner running across the bottom, “Trump Expected to Make Major Speech at Any Moment.” They would cut away from that now and then to cover other things, but for an hour, that was their go-to.

Obviously, all that free coverage of Trump, without him even speaking yet, for an hour, was part of the insidious CNN plot to favour Romney. :rolleyes:

(post shortened)

Did Fox News downplay the speech?

(post shortened)
No. It was a big story. I think you have some strong anti-CNN bias to dream up some anti-Trump conspiracy as a reason it got a lot of coverage.

They chose to trumpet Romney’s speech because …???

SlackerInc explains why Romney’s speech is a huge f****** deal. Which makes sense.

Rubio, Cruz, Kasich, and Trump have all said they would support the GOP’s candidate.

I don’t know of any conservative or Republican who were wondering what Romney has been thinking. This Romney speech isn’t going to help Romney’s image with conservative or Republican voters. If Romney is hoping for a brokered convention that he might possibly win, this speech could be replaced by a loud flushing sound. :smiley:

Well, I have to disagree with your point right here. Trump clearly has no policies; everything he says is opportunistic silliness and he changes his mind depending on whose fears he’s talking to. His only clear, unambiguous policy so far is that he will get Mexico to pay to build a giant wall, which nobody in Republican Party believes is anything but a fantasy based on his having watched “Game of Thrones.”

Trump’s only “policy” is that he wants to be President. He has no defined position on anything else. He isn’t clearly a Republican OR a Democrat. He’s just a Trump. His entire strategy revolves around not elucidating policies at all; he appeals to emotion, not policy. “Make America Great Again” is not a policy.

Heh, I just learned that my Chrome extension not only changes any instance of “Trump” to “Drumpf”, it also changed “Make America Great Again” to “Make Donald Drumpf Again”! Awesome.

And you turned it off just to tell us. Thanks, that is awesome of you.

I didn’t actually turn it off. :stuck_out_tongue: (In fact, I really don’t know how, not that I want to.) I wondered if **RickJay **had really just written “‘Make Donald Drumpf Again’ is not a policy.” Actually, I initially assumed he had written “Make Donald Trump Again”, but that seemed kind of weird. So I opened his post in an incognito window and saw the way it really appeared. Then when I wrote my reply, I edited the references as needed.

Omg, Perry Bacon jr agrees?! I am sold!

Look, I agree this ain’t nothing but the proof is in the pudding. Let’s see.