Mix me a cake

TheLadyLion said she’d like a kitchenaid stand mixer for Christmas. It’s a heavy duty power tool and there’s food involved so I’m all for it. We’re still discussing color choices but I’d like to know which style is better, the tilt head or bowl lift. The only thing feature she wants for certain is metal beaters instead of plastic.

How space limited is your kitchen?

The tilt head is slightly smaller IIRC 4.5 qts instead of 5.5 or 6qts for the fixed head. Unless you bake a lot the smaller unit will probably work fine.
I reason I bought the tilt head is that you have to dismount the beater on the fixed head model before you can remove the bowl. On the tilt head you can just tilt the head.

Ah, thanks Rick. That seems really inconvenient to have to remove the beater to get the bowl in and out. I was wondering about that but never had a chance to use one. Both models we’re looking at are 5qt bowls with the tilt head having a 325 watt motor and the lift bowl 350.

I have a 5.5 quart Kitchenaid - the one WITHOUT the tilt head - and I’ve never had a problem getting the bowl in and out without removing the beater. It’s easier to remove the beater first, but you can get it out without if you need to.

Do you have any plans to bake bread? If so, get the largest one you can afford. The 5.5 quart makes 2 loaves at once - if you want to do larger batches you’ll need a larger mixer.

I love my Kitchenaid. I love it I love it I love it.